Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual (hand) expression

Default Manual (hand) expression

After I pumped for 30 mins (Medela PIS double pump) I kept feeling like there is lots more in there. So I tried hand expressing and was shocked to get a literal spray out of my left breast!!!! This continued for half an ounce I am wondering if maybe manual expression will work best for me! It doesn't make my nipples sore like the pump does. Anyone have experience with manual? Any tips on how to completely drain the breast this way? I have DD's and they are hard to hold onto!

Default Re: Manual (hand) expression

Boy do I have the link for you sister!
    This form of manual expression is really effective. Good job on the amount you seemed to have gotten!

The video is great ! I used Manual expression to relactate for my son and it was a complete success! goodluck to you!!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Yup, I hand express most nights that I work and it works great. Love that video!

Manual expression seems to work great for me also. However, I am the type who feels the need to change it up every so often. I am currently using hand expression while I am at work, and it works for now, but when I get lazy, I'll prolly switch back to the pump, and when my nips decide that they cannot take it anymore (they get sore too) I'll prolly switch back...

thanks for the video and info girls! That video is very informative!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wanting3more View Post
    Manual expression seems to work great for me also. However, I am the type who feels the need to change it up every so often. I am currently using hand expression while I am at work, and it works for now, but when I get lazy, I'll prolly switch back to the pump, and when my nips decide that they cannot take it anymore (they get sore too) I'll prolly switch back...
    although I don't have sore nipple I can get more when I hand express but I too I am lazy and I haven't been able to find a comfortable position tohand express in. If i have time, when I am done using the pump I will still hand express, switching back and forth between breast.

i was hoping some one posted that link when I read your title!!!!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

although I don't have sore nipple I can get more when I hand express but I too I am lazy and I haven't been able to find a comfortable position tohand express in. If i have time, when I am done using the pump I will still hand express, switching back and forth between breast.
    So am I... I pump then do hand expresion, but most of the time I only get few drops to nothing so I am very please with the pump.... sometimes I leave a peace in the house so I have to do hand expresion
    Last edited by Sambarou; December 12th, 2007 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambarou View Post
    So am I... I pump then do hand expresion, but most of the time I only get few drops to nothing so I am very please with the pump.... sometimes I leave a peace in the house so I have to do hand expresion

Talking Re: Manual (hand) expression

Me too! I get ALOT more by manual expression than by the pump.

The other day it caught me off guard and a HUGE spray shot across the room!

This happened a few times. Are there any good ways to collect this? It kinda shoots all over the place. So I just stick a bottle or cup over my nipple to get this? Anyone else let down and collect it by manual expression?