Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried Mother

Question Worried Mother

I have started pumping after my son eats his supply. I began noticing some blood in my milk from my right breast. His doctor said do not give him that milk. To throw it away and keep pumping until I get a clean pump. I wonder now if when he was latched on if he got any tainted milk from me. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm worried that I may not nourish him enough. And I guess I just need to feed from my left breast until my right breast expresses clean milk. Please help relieve my fears.

Default Re: Worried Mother

When ds was in the nicu I got some bm with blood in it and the lactation consultant said not to worry about because if I weren't pumping you would never know and ds would be fine. Do you know where the blood is coming from. Are you nipples cracked or is it coming from inside? I would call a lactation consultant if I were you. They would have more experience dealing with that.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel

I don't have a lot of advise, but here's a big . I will tell you when my brother was born and in the hospital, my mom pumped for him, and the pump was so strong it burst some vessels, causing blood tinged milk. The hospital used the milk and said it was fine, as long as you don't have any blood born illness that wouldn't also be passed through BM. I don't know what caused your bleeding, but I'd imagine unless it's some type of infection, you could probably go ahead and continue BFing normally. How are you supposed to know if it's a "clean" pump anyway? Some blood could get through that wouldn't be visable...This probably doesn't help much, so here's another

Blood in the milk is NOT tainted. It is completely safe for your son to drink. There is no reason to not feed from that breast.

http://www.loveyourbaby.com/blood-in-breast-milk.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy's Mommy View Post
    Blood in the milk is NOT tainted. It is completely safe for your son to drink. There is no reason to not feed from that breast.

The milk is fine, but on the other hand, I would watch out for that doctor who told you otherwise! Sorry he worried you unnecessarily and made you throw out perfectly good milk.

Jack Newman describes a phenomenon that he calls "Rusty Pipe Syndrome" (bleeding from the nipples) as this:

New mothers may have painless bleeding from the nipples just after the baby is born. This is obviously quite alarming, but it is not dangerous for you or the baby. It is true that swallowing blood may cause the baby to spit up more, and may also cause him to have black or bloody bowel movements, but again, this is not dangerous, just alarming to see.

Often the mother is not aware that this is happening, and it only becomes obvious if she is expressing her milk for some reason, or the baby spits up blood or passes it in his bowel movements.

The best thing is to just keep breastfeeding.

Nobody knows why this happens, and it is presumed that the increased blood flow to the breast is somehow related.
    from "The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers" by Jack Newman, pg 132.

HTH!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Thanks for the encouragement...luckily, I didn't throw it out...I thought I would ask here before hand...I noticed that my right nipple has a scab over one of the pores...I guess that when I pump, it pulled the scab off and that's where the blood is coming from...I am using cream on my nipples...I guess I just need to hang in there a little longer..thanks for the advice!

The gals already told you not to worry about the blood. Think of it this way though, your milk is a type of "bodily fluid" anything that you could/would pass to your baby would get passed in your milk anyway, so the blood is not going to cause any harm.

About your scabbed nipples. Use Lanolin!! That stuff is a LIFESAVER and pay special attention to your latch! Are you right handed? I have a really hard time getting a good latch on my right breast, it's just awkward to have him on that side. Have you tried different positions/pillows/etc to help?