Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleeping at breast

Default sleeping at breast

The other night, baby slept very well and we tried to duplicate exactly what we did on Sunday, so he would sleep just as well. However, last night, he decided the only way he would sleep at all was at the breast. I am sore and tired, and since my DH and I don't co-sleep, I was out on the couch all night with baby. Everytime baby fell asleep and I put him in the basinet in the living room with me, he would wake up and scream (he is doing so right now). I don't know if he isn't getting enough, but I am at my wit's end because I didn't sleep at all. Is this common? If it is, how do you break it? Could it really be that he isn't getting enough? Please help!

Default Re: sleeping at breast

Could very well be a growth spurt, they happen at different times.

http://www.llli.org//FAQ/spurt.html

There's a link about growth spurts. Keep putting baby to breast, he needs to be there to boost your supply to where it needs to be for his growing needs.

It'll pass, nothing to "break" just keep letting baby nurse as much as baby wants. That'll help the spurt end sooner.
    Last edited by Jazzy's Mommy; December 11th, 2007 at 07:21 AM.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Even if he is sleeping, will he just let go when he is done?

I don't think it has anything to do with not getting enough. Babies just like to be close to their mommies, some more than others, and at different times (like during teething & growth spurts) more than others. Breasts are comfy places to sleep! Keep up the good work and it will get easier.

P.S. Do you have another bed/mattress/cot you could sleep on with babe? Or maybe DH could sleep on the couch? It's just not a safe place to sleep with your LO and you would get a lot more rest in the bed.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by eliana1300 View Post
    He will let go...*eventually*

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Eliana,
    It does seem almost scary when the little one stays at the breast for hours and hours. You can't help but fearfully imagine months down the road with this growing baby attached to your chest indefinitely! I remember those fears. But hang in there. He simply likes your warmth, your scent, your sounds, and most of all your milk. All of those things equal SLEEP to this little guy. From your point of view, it seems excessive, but from the baby's perspective, mama equals comfort and food. As his world gets bigger, he will learn other ways to meet his needs, but right now in this moment, you are it!

When my son was a newborn, he sometimes let go of the latch when he fell into a deep sleep. Other times when I noticed the sucking motion had slowed and his breathing had deepened, I used my pinkie to unlatch him. I did not put him down however! I knew that he would wake up and cry instantly. So until he was stronger and we co-slept exclusively, I would sleep in a comfy chair with baby on my chest. Sure, my sleep was broken and light, but it was sleep nonetheless.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ericag812; December 11th, 2007 at 07:45 AM.
    Erica
    Fletcher...August 20, 2005
    Welcoming #2 in July 2008

"There is no failure, only feedback."

Quote Originally Posted by eliana1300 View Post
    Eventually, most likely. Some babies need the breast in their mouths the whole time. I try to never unlatch my LO, I let her do it herself. However we do co-sleep. I understand and respect that you don't. But if it's possible you may want to consider it at least for the growth spurts.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07