Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to the pump...how to

Default New to the pump...how to

I recently got a PIS and don't quite know what to expect. I started to use it, but only get like an ounce per session. I am breastfeeding full time as well. I have tried the morning, after a shower, drinking water, etc. I don't know if I am doing this correctly or not. I pump until there is nothing else coming out, then for a few more minutes. Should I be waiting longer. Is this normal to only get such a small amount. I am trying to build a stash as I will have to go back to work.

Default Re: New to the pump...how to

Yes, this is normal. As your body gets used to the pump you may be able to get more. Right now your body is producing enough for baby so there's not lots of extra if you're nursing full-time. It sounds like you are trying all the right things - morning pumpings, drinking lots of water, etc. You'll get more when you are away from your baby for a chunk of time once you start back to work. You don't necessarily need a huge supply for going back to work. I've only used from my freezer stash twice - once early on to "test" leaving DD with babysitter for first time before going back to work and then her first day at daycare. I am able to pump enough each day at work to give her the next day at daycare.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Default Re: New to the pump...how to

Okay, so how many times should I be pumping a day?