Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think I have a cold!!

Default I think I have a cold!!

Is there anything that I can take that won't be harmful to Emily, due to breastfeeding? I have a very sore throat, I'm sneezing & sniffling....and I have gotten her sick too.....
    Anne

Default Re: I think I have a cold!!

Good morning,

I am just getting over a cold so I had occasion to look this up recently. You can take sudafed, but watch out since it might have an effect on your milk supply. Benadryl is something else you can take. Here is a non-LLL resource on the topic:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

I've been so tired and had more colds than ever before since having the baby. It is getting to be too much--I almost posted under 'chronic conditions' to see if anyone else has had the same problem! I hope you feel better soon.

It may be too late but you could try taking Echinacea to help speed up getting better. I was always afraid of taking any sudafed or benedryl because it can affect the milk supply. Regular Robintussen is okay too. (The kind with just the Gufisen (sp?) in it). I have found that if I start taking the echinacea as soon as I start feeling something coming on I might not get sick. Doesn't work all the time but enough that I believe it works.

I'll take a look at the link and see what I can find...thanks for the info! It's frustrating....I spent the entire pregnancy feeling fabulous....and now I get hit with this. I'm a little concerned that mine is turning into a sinus infection. And then poor Emily woke up this morning with snot around her nose, and REALLY raspy breathing. She would sneeze once, then immediately cough like 4-5 times.
    I know a few people recommended a cold mist humidifier also? Anyone had any luck with that?
    Thanks again girls!
    Anne

Edited to mention that my main goal is to continue breastfeeding...even if I take longer to get better, I don't want to compromise my milk supply. And my understanding is that even if I am sick while breastfeeding, it is better for the baby cause it also helps boost their antibodies?

Yes, your baby is getting your antibodies to whatever little bug you have. And, since you two are presumably spending a large chunk of time together every day, she was exposed to it before either of you showed symptoms.

A humidifier can work wonders - it helps to loosen up the phlegm so that it can come out easier. Makes breathing and eating easier. Standing in the bathroom while you run a really hot shower can have the same effect. Some mothers find their infants can nurse easier in there when their cold is at it's worst.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

i've always just relied on Tylenol. And drank lots of water.

I had about 8 colds this past winter/spring. In the past I hardly ever got sick! I think the demands of bf and working full-time just took their toll.

Just watch out of you take benadryl, it can make baby drowsy (which isnt necessarily a bad thing