Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bittersweet Moment

Default Bittersweet Moment

Over the past 2 months I have gradually weaned my 14 month old as I prepared to go back to work. She's now on whole milk, but still nurses once a day. I knew my supply was dwindling, but there was still milk.

This morning she nursed for a bit and then sat up. A few minutes later she pulled up my shirt and tried to nurse again. She immediately pulled off and started whining. I asked her what was wrong and she looked at me and said and signed "bottle". I guess she knows what she wants - and although there's some milk left - it's not enough anymore. I'm happy with 14 months of nursing - and she's ready to move on - just a little bittersweet!

Default Re: Bittersweet Moment

I know how you feel. My dd is 13 1/2 mo old and just weaned. Our last nursing session was last Sunday and we did the gradual thing also. I'm proud that we had such a good bf relationship for this long, and sounds like you did too. I did however tear up the other day when my dh said how great of a job I did for our dd and how so many moms choose not to or aren't able to stick with it for so long. I do miss that special time though, especially first thing in the morning when it's just the two of us and very quiet. But- I keep telling myself we're ready for the next step and we're enjoying a little more freedom now. Be happy/proud you made it so far!

Congratulations on breastfeeding as long as you did! I must admit, however, that your post brought tears to my eyes just thinking about that bittersweet moment in all of our futures....