Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cereal and constipation

Default Cereal and constipation

Hello, I am new to this site. I have a 6 month old son and I have just recently started to give him rice cereal as a supplement to my breastmilk. It seems like the cereal is causing constipation. He will not be able to have a BM for a day but he will have gas and then a huge BM will all come at once. If I lay off from giving him the cereal everything returns to normal. Is this normal when solids are relatively new to a baby? Is there a good solution to make things better for him? Thank you for your help.

Default Re: Cereal and constipation

I dont know if this will help u but it has worked for me. I 50/50 cereal with baby fruit or stewed fruit and my dd has up to 3 bm a day . It seems the fruit helps it move thru her alot better and she loves the taste so good luck hope that helps

When he does poop, is it hard and dry? True constipation is hard and dry poop.

How much cereal is he eating? How often is he nurisng? How many wet diapers is he making in 24 hours? Does he nurse less when he eats cereal?

Babies don't need the rice cereal, and it does tend to cause constipation problems in many babies. If it seems to be causing a problem, by all means stop giving it for a few weeks. Ds loved rice cereal and it never caused him any problems, but I was quite careful to make sure he didn't eat too much of it and also that he was nursing enough. If I have another baby, I probably won't bother giving baby cereal.

Thank you for your replies. We are now on day 2 and still no poop, but he is passes A LOT of gas. He had only a little dab of poop in his diaper after some gas last night, but other than that there has been nothing else coming through. He is peeing without any trouble and he is breastfeeding at the same rate as he always has. The reason why he was receiving the cereal was to help tide him over until I could get to daycare. I teach and we have a daycare site on campus, so I am able to see him throughout the day. I was expressing a bottle of milk for him to have when I couldn't get there to feed him, but sometimes that wasn't enough for him, so they were giving him cereal mid-morning (this routine of the cereal only started a few weeks ago). We are now on summer vacation so I am home with him and have decided to stop any cereal. I have given him some prunes in hopes that they might loosen him up a bit, but they haven't helped so far. He seems perfectly happy with breastmilk being his main source of food, so I think that I'm going to follow his lead. Howver, if he doesn't poop soon, is there something other than the prunes that might help?