Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Output & Nursing length changed

Default Output & Nursing length changed

I noticed for the past 2 days my dd's diapers are more watery than they use to be. There use to be more seeds and now her poop seems more watery. She's pooping often (A lot of wet and poopy diapers) ....

Does this have to do w/ hind / fore milk?

2nd part of my post -

I actually timed her nursing session as I'm a little concerned...

She'll latch on VIGOROUSLY (Super Vigorously) on the first breast..... then less than 15 mins into it ... She'll get really fussy. Screaming! We'll have to pause ... let her calm down and then start all over again... about 5 seconds into it she'll get really upset again. She'll tug (w/ her mouth) and her face will turn read, arch her back and cry hard...

So I'll change breasts ... and then she'll do it all over again .... 5-10 mins into it she'll begin her tantrum ...

She'll definitely NOT look satisfied.... I'll detach her from the 2nd breast and she'll calm down for about 15 mins and want to nurse again ... and this time she'll cry and fuss and fight the entire time latched ... my breast seem soft a lot lately ... and when we are done nursing this way ... they are SUPER soft ... she'll ask for it again 15 mins later and I'm afraid I don't have anything... seems like she's verifying that as she'll begin her trantrum right away ...

Oh and a 3rd part - (I'm sorry for all the questions)

She attaches very roughly lately ... I'm not sure if she's bringing as much tissue into her mouth as she should ... I try to get as much in her mouth as I can ... any tricks? .... Anyway - When she detaches ... the tip of my nipples are like a lighter pink .. or white ... like she's really sucking hard on the tip ... Is she probably pinching off some of the milk supply?

*She's so beautiful ... I can't stop looking at her ... She's holding her head up more ... Looking at things more... I have a black, white and brown dog ... She lovessss looking at him walk by ... Her eyes are so bright and big .... her chunky thighs crack me up ....
    Last edited by Overwhelmed-First Timer; June 15th, 2006 at 09:18 PM.

Default Re: Output & Nursing length changed

Hi There, So glad you are obviously enjoying your little one so thoroughly! That's wonderful!
    How old is DD?
    How has her weight gain been?
    -jsmom

She is in her 3rd week - born 5/23.

Her weight gain was fine last check up - about a week ago. She gained all her weight back.
    10 lbs 4 oz at birth - she lost 8% (from what my pedi told me) and weighed 10lbs 8 oz at last week's check up.

However - I supplemented at night during that time. Between 8 - 12 oz a night.

This week is the first week I'm 100% breastfeeding. (Since Sunday night)

good job cutting out the bottles!
    I was going to ask if she was getting any, the pulling off and getting mad sometimes happen to babies that like the bottle better than the breast.

Sometimes they just don't know what they want! And the cluster feed alot.
    Like in the eve..
    do you have a local lll leader you can call.. She would be able to answer all your questions beter than we can on-line.
    If a baby is fussy alot of things can be going on.

for poops just breastfeeding only they should have at least 3 quarter size poops a day.. and 5-6 realy wets... a baby older than 6 weeks can have less poops and still be getting the milk they need.
    are you stopping to burp the baby? her getting fussy just maybe she needs to burp? 3 weeks is also a good time for a growth spurt where they want to eat alot!

It sounds like your baby is getting frustrated with the slower flow of milk from your breasts than from the bottle. This is quite common, it happened to me even after my son only had one bottle! Thankfully it passes with time, and you can read the info here for tips on minimizing fussiness at the breast:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...flowpreference

As for your white nipples, that's a sign of a bad latch, so you should try to speak with a LLL leader or a lactation consultant or you can read the very good info here about how to correct a bad latch:
    http://people.clarityconnect.com/web...ing/index.html
    (check out the "Thoughts on positioning", 'Latch-on pictures with description" and "A latch-on checklist links")

It sounds like your baby is getting frustrated with the slower flow of milk from your breasts than from the bottle. This is quite common, it happened to me even after my son only had one bottle! Thankfully it passes with time, and you can read the info here for tips on minimizing fussiness at the breast:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...flowpreference

As for your white nipples, that's a sign of a bad latch, so you should try to speak with a LLL leader or a lactation consultant or you can read the very good info here about how to correct a bad latch:
    http://people.clarityconnect.com/web...ing/index.html
    (check out the "Thoughts on positioning", "Latch-on pictures with description" and "A latch-on checklist" links)