Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Won't Burp!

Default Baby Won't Burp!

Hi Ladies,

I posted before about spitting up and difficulty burping my 4-week-old daughter. The spitting up seems to be better, but she is becoming more difficult to burp. I can try and try with no luck. She seems to be very gassy--crying and arching her back--which makes it even harder to burp her. If she does burp, it is a big one, and she may spit up a bit with it. I'm not sure when to keep trying and when to give up. Sometimes I wonder if she is so irritable because she is gassy or because she is hungry and wants me to stop trying to burp her so she can eat more.

Any magic tricks/advice for burping a stubborn little one?

Thanks!

Red face Re: Baby Won't Burp!

My little one also has trouble burping (she is also 4 weeks) - and I have tried many different tactics. Here are some that have worked for me: The baby sit-up (where you are holding their chin) and I will rock her back and forward and sometimes a burp pops out, over the shoulder in just the right spot on her tummy works sometimes, over the knees and rubbing the back, and the reverse football hold where she is face down and her stomach is resting on my forearm. Sometimes just sitting them up right after they eat and bobbling them on your knees a little helps the gas bubbles rise and then you can try the above. Good luck - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Mylicon might also help!

Default Re: Baby Won't Burp!

I have a difficult time burping DS also. What works for us usually is sitting him up on my leg & bending him over at the waist pretty far(supporting his head of course) and patting his back firmly. sometimes I bend him back & forth slowly while he's sitting on my leg to try to move the bubble up. And then pat on the back some more. If he still doesn't burp and seems irritated by it, I will give him some Mylicon and wait about 5-10 minutes and usually it comes up easier then. I have been using the Wal-mart brand of Mylicon & they don't seem to work as well.

My baby does the same thing !!!!

It'll take 10-15 mins to burp her - if she burps, it's not a guarantee in 5 mins she'll spit up.

10-15 mins at 4 AM is like 2 hours .....

I've tried all of those great ideas - no dice.

What is the positive / negative of burping vs. spit up anyway?

All great suggestion above, holding ds under his chin seemed to work for us. I also wanted to suggest Grip Water, you can now buy this at many pharmacies. Many babies will burp with in a few min of giving it to them. Use caution as to not over use as it is an herbal remedy. With time she will get better!

Quote Originally Posted by Overwhelmed-First Timer
    My baby does the same thing !!!!

It'll take 10-15 mins to burp her - if she burps, it's not a guarantee in 5 mins she'll spit up.

10-15 mins at 4 AM is like 2 hours .....

I've tried all of those great ideas - no dice.

What is the positive / negative of burping vs. spit up anyway?
    Burping & spitting up seem to be separate things in our case. Just because DS burps doesn't mean he won't spit up and usually he spits up w/out burping. As for the positive/negative----I guess it would be that w/out burping DS is uncomfortable and not want to finish nursing because he feels full even though he's not. He doesn't seem to need to burp every time though. I can usually tell when he's nursing if he will need to---because I can hear him gulping & hear the milk almost hitting his stomach, kind of like a little gurgle sound in his belly because he's nursing so fast. I also have OALD that is getting better but still cause my milk to gush out sometimes which definitely increases the burping.

I thought some BF babies just couldn't be burped all the time? I don't try too long with DS, he usually gets one out on his own after a lil while, is that bad?
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Quote Originally Posted by Brittan
    All great suggestion above, holding ds under his chin seemed to work for us. I also wanted to suggest Grip Water, you can now buy this at many pharmacies. Many babies will burp with in a few min of giving it to them. Use caution as to not over use as it is an herbal remedy. With time she will get better!
    YUP!
    we call Gripe Water the magic water - one way or another - it comes out...lol

The back arching, crying, and spitting up are signs of reflux. My dd had it bad for months. I know it sounds crazy, but we stopped burping her. It helped a lot!!! We realized the crying was more from the reflux and not gas. If we thought she seemed a little gassy then we would try to burp her. But she is 6 months old and has not been burped since she was 2 months.