Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Every 2 hours???

Default Every 2 hours???

My 8 week old has started feeding every 2 hours even at night. I've heard that by now she should be sleeping much more throughout the night. She will go for about 3-4 hours once during the night, but after that it's 2 hours--like clockwork. When she was a week old, she had lost so much weight, that the doctor told me to supplement with formula. I did that until she gained enough weight to go strictly to breastmilk. But then she was eating every 3 hours. I'm thinking about giving her formula again at night so she'll sleep more. Has anybody else dealt with this? I could keep it up for a bit longer if I knew there was an end in sight.

Default Re: Every 2 hours???

My 10 wk old DS has a similar schedule. He gives me one 4 hour stretch at night and then it's every 2 hrs the rest of the night and during the day it's every 2-3 hrs. Occassionally he will give us a 6 hr stretch at night as a teaser. I'm thinking that those nights will probably become more common over the next few weeks.

My neighbor has had two EBF babies that started sleeping through the night (>6 hrs) at 8 and 10 wks. Both nursed every 2-3 hrs during the day.

Of course, every baby is different........

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

My 7 week old is doing the same thing. She does sleep longer when I give her formula through the night, but I read that formula is harder to digest than breast milk and that is why it takes longer.

It is supposed to ease up when they get a little older. It definitely makes for an exhausting day the next day!

Thats the exact same pattern DS has. Hes 6 weeks and every 2 hours on the clock hes awake and hungry. Normally he will have one 3 hour stretch during the night. I wondered if he would sleep longer if i gave him formula at nite, just want alittle bit more sleep at nite. I have a bottle of formula i got from the hospital staring at me, i haven't brought myself to use it.

It will get better soon! My dd did that at that age - cosleeping saved us! Also, try to offer to feed more during the day (even if your butt is glued to the couch and you don't get anything done). I found that I could sometimes get more sleep at night by just letting my daughter basically eat all day - I literally would spend a 3-4 hour block each afternoon on the couch. Books and movies helped to pass the time.
    I did break down and try formula one night, when I was really tired. And also, my dd just had a nursing strike and I supplemented with formula. I didn't notice a change in sleep patterns either time, even though I was hoping for one.

My dd is almost 4mnths now and she fed almost every hour up till 31/2 when we started solid with help from my health nurse i held out as long as i could but with an almost 3 yo it was way to hard she is now sleeping so much beter and is very happy i guess some babies get beter and sum are just always hungry lol good luck

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My 4-month old ate every two hours, including most nights, until about a month ago. I know how exhausting it is! Is there a way you could pump enough for 1 feeding and let someone else feed her a bottle a couple times a week so you could get some extra sleep? It doesn't have to be at night. I never tried giving her formula; I was afraid it would make her reflux worse. But hang in there! All of a sudden, a couple of weeks ago, DD started sleeping 8-9 hours at night. It's heaven! I'm not counting on it to last though. She still eats at least every 2 hours during the day, sometimes every hour. I think I've worn out my rocker recliner already .