Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: confused

Default confused

I look through this tittle and see how many wonderful moms have dedicated 1-2yrs bfing their lo's and I am only up to month 5 and I just feel spent! I recently got a small stomach virus and couldn't eat as much and my milk supply seem to lessen. She cries after our late feeding because there isn't nearly enough milk. I switch breast, tried pumping one bottle a day (and end up giving it to her) exhausted all my frozen milk. I hate to give up, I wanted to go at least the year. I want to do the best for her but I feel so tried I don't get much help for my over worked husband. How do you ladies keep it going? Does it get better?

So Confused,
    Thanks

Smile Re: confused

well, i have found some days/nights are tougher than other. if those days merge into each other, it's tougher still, then hooray! eases off again for a while... that is just me on my journey

personally i never consider my milk is not abundant enough - my baby is just more hungry/thirsty/in need of a snuggle/tired/overstimulated/sore in teeth or somewhere.... loves being attached and close to his mummy!

do you get enough rest? nursing lying down is my life-saver, i have 3 kids and yes it does get easier, situations just change!

Default Re: confused

Don't let go...not yet. It does get better, all the time. When there are downs, there will be ups.

I had a stomach bug while I was nursing and pregnant and my poor dd had no milk for 3 days, once I got rehydrated and enough food back in my system, my supply was up again.

Try eating some oatmeal, the real stuff! Not those bags of instant candy that Quaker sells...drink lots and lots of water. Take Fenuegreek if you need to. Get baby to the breast as often as possible! You have made it so far and if you make it to your goal of one year, you will be so happy that you stuck it out.

My first dd nursed for 16 1/2 mos. I'm on number 2 right now, 4 months and counting. Why don't I be your cheerleader, and watch you beat me to that one year mark!!

PM me for all the support you need!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Do you co-sleep? It has really been my saving grace when I am tired.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Sweetie, we have all been here. There are good days, bad days...but I am telling you just take it one day at a time. You can do it just like you have been all this time! Listen to Nolamomma...she know what she's talking about!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Yes, every time this happens, it gets better. I've been through several boughts of "not enough milk" and I nurse and nurse, I eat oatmeal (and homemade oatmeal cookies, yum!), I drink as much Mother's Milk Tea as I can (3-5 cups a day) and in a day or two, you're breathing easy again as your LO finally seems satisfied and you are back in business. Each time it happens (growth spurt, illness, schedule change) is easier--the first time is the worst. Everyone always says it, but it doesn't hurt to hear it again--nurse and nurse as much as you can stand so your body really knows it needs to make more.

I hope it gets better for you fast
    Last edited by jadefaerie; December 9th, 2007 at 10:32 PM. Reason: spell

I was really worn out during that time, too. I was exclusively nursing a 21 pound boy and had long since exhausted any extra pregnancy weight. I had a to work really hard to get the calories I needed and sleep was a challenge, too. DS was waking several times a night and I hadn't figured out how to nurse lying down. DS was a cat napper and I got very little in the way of break. Things gradually got better. He got more mobile and happier, he started to nap a bit longer, he started to eat solids, we started co-sleeping, and he got older. There have been other challenges along the way, but I am thankful that at 22 months he still has the comfort of my breast, I get to cuddle with him, and he still gets all the great benefits of breast milk. Hang in there! If you can, try to get to LLL meetings. The other moms always provide so much encouragement to me!

I felt that way about the same time. 5/6 mo and I was DONE but he wasn't so i tried to keep going and in 18 days it will be a year!!! You can do it!!!!!!!
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Thank you all for your great support! I called in the troops and my mom agreed to help me watch my lo this weekend and I am on a witch hunt for the tea Fenegreek. Sometimes my emotions are all over the place! I know whats right and she still wants to nurse so we will stick it out!

Thanks again,