Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning a High Needs Baby?

Question Weaning a High Needs Baby?

My son is 10 months old and I was planning on weaning at 12 months. He is a High Needs Baby and I am worried about the effect it will have on him as well as myself.

A little background....
    He is a comfort nurser and has a real need for close contact with me. He has a real problem with separation from me even if I am still in the room or if I leave it is not long before even dad is call and saying please come back he is making himself sick from crying. I can't do that do him so will come back and all is well. He had done this since he was born so it isn't a phase. He only nurses 1 or 2 times a day (in daylight hours) if he is having a good day (playing and exploring) if it has been a not so good day he wants to nurse all day. At night he co-sleeps and nursing as he wishes (several times a night) How do we start the weaning process? I'm not going to start until his 1st Birthday, but I want to start preparing for it now because I know it will probably take quite some time. I have to slowly make this transition with him.

Default Re: Weaning a High Needs Baby?

Well, thts exactly it. you need to do a slow transition. Have you heard about don't offer, don't refuse? Is there a chance you might want to delay weaning until some of the molars have come through? Right at about one they start comfort nursing to relieve the pain. Oxytocin which is released in bm helps with pain.

He hasn't started cutting teeth yet.. None The Ped. said not to worry. I don't know.. I don't know what will happen when he starts cutting teeth?

Oh No I haven't herd of don't offer, don't refuse?????

I understand what you are talking about. DD is very high needs and will be 1 at the end of the month. I got really sick over a week ago & had to go without nursing her for 7 days! It was horrible but do to the medication I had to take, I had no choice. And boy was that the hardest week of my life. She was miserable, I was miserable, DH was miserable. In fact, DH & I decided not to wean her until she turned 5.

I was planning on weaning at 1 year, but it looks like it is going to be a very slow transition. We co-sleep and I am trying to find other ways to put her back to sleep. Rubbing her back, etc. It seems to work the first time she wakes up, but not the other times. It looks like night weaning will probably be the hardest thing for us. But like pp said, a slow transistion seems to be the best way. I think I am slowing going to try the "don't ask, don't refuse" method after her birthday. We are also thinking about weaning her from co-sleeping after the first of the year. That is going to be hard as well.

Since I seem to be a month ahead of you, I will try to offer advice as I go. But know you are not alone.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Quote Originally Posted by misdenn View Post
    He hasn't started cutting teeth yet.. None The Ped. said not to worry. I don't know.. I don't know what will happen when he starts cutting teeth?
    My DS is high need, and 13 months old. He still nurses through the night, and during the day quite frequently. He doesn't like me out of site either. It's hard, but I figure he won't be like this forever, so I try to enjoy being the center of his universe.
    Cutting teeth can be VERY painful for some LO's, especially molars. When DS is teething, he nurses much more, and doesn't do very many solids. He finds comfort/relief in nursing.
    In some ways having a comfort nursling is a good thing. Just think, while other toddlers are having a tantrum because they cannot express a need, you have A SECRET WEAPON guaranteed to stop tears instantly. Whenever ds falls or feels vulnerable, he gets his milkies and he is instantly smiling...

Any paticular reason why you want to start weaning around his first birthday?

Don't offer don't refuse is just that...If he signals to nurse you give it to him, but otherwise don't offer it to him. This allows the child to wean at his/her own rate. It is a way to slowly start weaning.

HTH!!!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

heres some more info..
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBweaning.html

I like this one it talks about weither or not weaning would make things easier.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/wean.html