Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: broke arm, start food?

Default broke arm, start food?

hi ya'll
    my baby is 4.5 months, sits up with support, sits beautifully in the bumbo, rolls over... till now we are ex. bf but this week i slipped and broke my arm! i avoided the painkillers aside from some percocat but my issue is that it is really hard to bf with all the pain and the huge cast.

can i start some food? formula? so my husband can help out? should i start pumping again? its murder to nurse her in this situatiion. thanks!

Default Re: broke arm, start food?

I'm so sorry you broke your arm! I'm sure that does make nursing difficult.

I would go with pumping of the options you listed. I'd be hesitant about starting any solids until she can sit well unassisted, and if you start using formula you run the risk of hurting your supply. Are there any positions you can manage nursing, or can your husband hold her while you nurse? If that's just not possible, I think I'd opt for having him help me pump. At least that way she's still getting the good stuff, and your supply will be maintained.

Hope your arm gets better soon!

I agree with pp. so sorry about your arm!

awe poor thing.... take something if you need it for pain its ok...
    what ever your doctor said was ok.

pumping should be your first line of defense, but we started giving our ds solids around 4.5 months in addition to try to increase our baby's weight and appetite because he was small. it's worked wonderfully and he's a champion eater.

it was a hard decision to make though, he also was sitting well in the bumbo, but more telling for me was how interested he was in our food. so watch your little one for signs of solids interest (chewy faces, reaching for food, watching you eat) before you start them on solids. we started with organic brown rice cereal and avacados.