Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee while nursing???

Default Coffee while nursing???

I rarely have coffee...maybe 2-3 cups per week...yes, per week! But when I do have the luxery to drink it, it seems it has an affect on my DS. He seems wired and very hyper.

I have been so exhausted lately and I would love to treat myself to a Starbucks once in awhile...

Does anybody know the time frame which the caffeine travels through the milk and into a nursing baby?

Should I pump and dump shortly after my caffeine intake?
    Last edited by jadon's mom; December 9th, 2007 at 02:08 PM.

Proud mother of our beautiful little angel in heaven (19 weeks on 1/19/2007)

Proud mother of Jadon Eli born 6/26/07 (a TTTS survivor) My joy and miracle baby

[

Default Re: Coffee while nursing???

Hi-
    I'm afraid I can't answer the time-frame qestion, but have you tried decaf? I love a coffee, and have decaf most of the time- I can't even tell the difference in taste these days. It really is just as good- and if you're nursing, you can still have a yummy pastry or a nice biscuit to go with it!

TM

I'm a decaf convert myself. Inever reall noyiced an effect on Kayden, but it made a huge difference in my milk supply, or lack thereof!

Quote Originally Posted by carolin1995 View Post
    Coffee never affected DS one way or another, but I used to have decaf at that age too. Now I have graduated to half caf!
    How old is your baby?

Smile Re: Coffee while nursing???

there is info on half-life of caffeine in breastmilk here http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/caffeine.html

it includes this table:

If your baby is sensitive to caffeine, it will typically become less of an issue as baby gets older. Newborns have a much harder time metabolizing caffeine than older infants. Preterm or ill infants might also have more problems with mom's caffeine intake.

Half-Life of Caffeine
    Age Half-Life
    Newborn 65-130 hours [2.7-5.4 days]
    3 - 5 months approx. 14 hours
    4-9 months 3-7 hours
    Adult 3-7 hours
    References: USP DI 2001, Hale 2002

So there is hope for a caffiene junkie like me???

Quote Originally Posted by carolin1995 View Post
    From another coffee junkie (ME!!!):
    Yes, there is hope

Yea, the Lord does perform miracles!!!!!!

i drink the half and half coffee that has the half of the caffine it seems to be a little better

Quote Originally Posted by kayden's mama View Post
    How old is your baby?
    My DS is 5 1/2 mo old...do you think its effecting him because he is so young? I havent weighed him in about a month, but he is around 15 pounds...maybe 16

Proud mother of our beautiful little angel in heaven (19 weeks on 1/19/2007)

Proud mother of Jadon Eli born 6/26/07 (a TTTS survivor) My joy and miracle baby

[

Wink Re: Coffee while nursing???

my doc told me I can drink a cup of coffee immediately after I finish nursing. I do so,and so far,so good.