Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!! So Overwhelmed!!

Default Re: Help!! So Overwhelmed!!

Thanks, for the suggestions. I thought I might be trying to do too much at one time. I actually began nursing her again during the day...just for naps (since lately she is very resistent to napping even). Is that bad that I seem to be backstepping the weaning process or normal? I think I'm just going to lay off the weaning until after we move, I was hoping to do it before, but maybe it would be best to wait till after. I was weaning mainly due to my weight (which I continue to lose, I'm afraid of going to low...I'm already having heart flutters.) So I suppose two more months shouldn't hurt anything. Thanks for all the help everyone! I agree that maybe I should try nursing her and wait 15 mins. before trying to move her to her crib. I guess I was being very impatient and trying to transfer her right after she closed her eyes. It was just so nice when she could put herself to sleep, and now that shes a little bit older she can't even do that. She can't go to sleep anymore without nursing. So in a way I guess I was just hoping the weaning process would teach her how to self-soothe, but what it seems to be doing is making her more attached and dependent on me. Is that her way of saying its too soon to wean? When the time is right, will she be more willing or will she always be this difficult with weaning?

I think she probably just saying "there's so much going on right now Mama, I just want you to stay close to me". Undoubtedly she can sense everything going on in your life right now...your uneasyness about your health, stress from prepairing to move, whatever. All of this while your trying to break her of co-sleeping and nursing may be too much at once.

Just slowing down and picking your battles will make the world of difference. But once you've "won" one (i.e. taken away daytime feedings) I wouldn't go back on it if possible. You wouldn't want to re-do all the hard work you went through to wean those daytime feedings would you?

Your doing a good job, just try to relax and it'll happen.

Unhappy Re: Help!! So Overwhelmed!!

I know what you mean, but sadly I'm going to have to re-do and start the whole weaning process all over again. She came down with a really bad cold. And all she would take is bf...literally all night long and most of the day. I feel really bad because I feel like if I hadn't even began weaning these past weeks, she would have never gotten sick. This is her first cold. So I feel like its all my fault..I put too much stress on her (decreased her immunity) and plus weaned her from daytime feedings (decreased her immunity more?). Now I don't know when I should begin weaning again? I know I want to at least wait until after she gets over this cold...but I don't know if I should just completely wait until after we move which is in the beginning of January or if I should try partial weaning again. Any suggestions as to wean I should begin the weaning process again? Thanks!!

Please don't feel like your babies cold is your fault! My nearly 3 year old has had colds, stomach flu etc etc. You'd just been lucky before!
    Plus it is good for them to build up some immunities through catching things.

:-)

I agree with the pp...your lo catching a cold here and there isn't just inevitable, it's good for her. She'll be fine soon enough.

As far as the weaning goes, I'd just take a break until you were settled into the new place. There's plenty of holiday stuff right now to keep stress levels up, no point in adding to it. I'm sure you'll discover that as soon as things have calmed down, your dd will be more willing to accept change. Good luck!

OH thank you soo much everyone for all of your advice and support. I think as three's company put it, I will just put off on the weaning process until after we move. Its just so hard when you have everyone closest to you telling you its time to wean your child...that my child is too old to be bf still (mind you she's only a year old). I just have to keep positive and get through this rough patch. Thanks again everyone, I appreciate everything you've said!

Quote Originally Posted by dn7prh View Post
    OH thank you soo much everyone for all of your advice and support. I think as three's company put it, I will just put off on the weaning process until after we move. Its just so hard when you have everyone closest to you telling you its time to wean your child...that my child is too old to be bf still (mind you she's only a year old). I just have to keep positive and get through this rough patch. Thanks again everyone, I appreciate everything you've said!
    I have a post on here about my 21 month old nursing constantly. I just read your post about people pressuring you, and that is definitely the wrong reason to wean. Wean because you are ready, or your baby is ready, or you need to because of medical reasons, whatever, Just don't let anyone tell you how to parent your child. EVERYONE in my husband's family thinks I am a weirdo because I nursed my first child for 2 and a 1/2 years, and I am still nursing my 21 month old. I just tell them that it is okay if they don't understand it, but that it is something I believe in a great deal. That pretty much shuts them up. And I feel better making decisions from my heart about my baby, rather than someone elses. Of course you know then you can't complain to them when the baby keeps you up all night nursing! that is why I come to this site! Good luck!

Trying to wean her from your breast and your bed at once may be a little overwhelming. I think it's better to break it into two steps. If you're willing to continue co-sleeping for a little while longer it might make the night weaning easier to accept. Dr. Gordon's has a method which essentially involves nursing less and less over a course of a week or so but allowing the baby to stay in your bed. While the baby will cry with you in your bed, from my experience I found they cry less there than if they are in a crib alone. I'll try to bump some threads with more information on his techniques. I'm also a fan of getting the nighttime thing figured out while daytime nursing is still an option - atleast a couple times during the day. If the baby's had a hard night it'll be good to proclaim it morning and allow her to nurse if she desires.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Thanks I try beginning with night weaning first and see how she takes it while still nursing a few times during the day, but I think I'll wait till after her cold takes its course...she's already have a hard time nursing due to congestion. I wouldn't want to refuse her now during this rough time...I feel so bad for her because there is practically nothing I can do to completely clear out her nose. Thanks for the suggestion I'll be sure to give it a try as soon as possible.