Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eliminating/substituting early morning feeding

Default Eliminating/substituting early morning feeding

All,

My dd is 13 mo. Her sleeping routine is quite manageable - she goes to bed at 7 pm after about 15-20 minutes of bf-ing. I put her in her crib when she's still awake, but very sleepy. We have no real issues there. She rarely wakes up in the night before 5 am; if she does, I can rock her back to sleep within 5-10 minutes without bf-ing. However, this will not work once it's about 5 am. By 5 am, she's either hungry or needs to connect with me; I'm not sure which it is. At 5 am I bring her into our bed and bf her for about 30 minutes. Then I take her back to her crib and she goes back to sleep for another hour. At 6:30 am she wakes up again and I bring her into our bed to nurse her until about 7 am; then it's time to get up and start the day.

My question is this: I am generally ok with all of this, but I would really prefer if she could stay asleep until 6:30. In other words, I'd like to eliminate the 5 am feeding. Do you all think this is possible? Should I give her a sippy cup with water or cows milk at that time? Is giving her milk in a sippy cup in her crib going to create problems for her, teeth-wise?

I am asking too because I'm going to leave her with my mother for 2 nights in July so that dh and I can have a weekend away together. This will be my first time away from her overnight. I think everyone will be happier - my mother especially - if she doesn't wake up needing to bf at 5 am. If she can make it to 6:30 or so, my mother will be more inclined to babysit overnight again!

Thank you all in advance for your advice!

Default Re: Eliminating/substituting early morning feeding

How long as she been asleep before she wakes at 5? That might be part of the puzzle.

By 5 AM, she's been asleep since 7 PM the night before, so 10 hours...

I'm dying for some input here, so please let me know what you think!

i could have written this post! except my dd is nearly 11 months. her 5-6am wake up is frustrating bc it is right when i wake up to get everything done before work! but i feel i shouldn't complain bc overall her schedule is v. manageable! i hope you get some replies...

Maybe you could try to shift her bedtime later so that she doesn't wake up so early. Perhaps if she went to bed at 9, she's sleep through until 7am.

Hmm... I could try that. My pediatrician advises early bedtimes and she does seem to get sleepy so early in the evening... But I could try it.

I guess then it becomes a matter of deciding whether I'd rather have free time for myself starting at 7 pm (it's very precious to my husband and me) or sleep an extra couple of hours in the morning. This is not an easy choice.

It seems like people here are saying this problem is related to the number of hours she's been asleep - ie, she's really ready to start her day at that hour. Is that correct? Could it be anything else - such as a leftover from nightwakings?

PS Maya's Mom, congratulations on working full time and nursing for 11 months. That is really hard work!

If your child starts to get sleepy at 7:00 I wouldn't mess with the bedtime. Although it seems counterintuitive, the earlier the bedtime, the longer she will sleep. If you keep her up later, she may start waking up even more. You may even want to consider putting her to bed a half hour earlier for a few nights and see if it helps. Also, have you considered enlisting the help of your spouse when she wakes up at 5:00 am? My son is almost 13 months old and when he wakes up now, it's not because he's genuinely hungry. There was a week or so that he was waking up every night and I just got in the habit of nursing him. It occurred to me that I was reinforcing the behavior and asked my husband to get up with him. Two days of daddy at 5:00 am and he was back to sleeping until 6:30 am. We also started putting a sippy cup of water in his crib just in case he got thirsty and I can tell he drinks out of it at night. I think that helped the night waking, too.

Thank you for this, I had also heard that moving the bedtime to later doesn't help but actually hurts the child's ability to sleep through the night. I think I read it in the No Cry Sleep Solution or whatever that book is called. It *is* counterintuitive; all I know is that when she was about 8-10 weeks old I started putting her down earlier and from that point forward she had fewer and fewer sleep problems.

Thank you for the suggestions. My husband was with her this am at 4:45. She was screeching - really angry at me for leaving the room. I'd hold her, rock her, she'd relax and almost fall back to sleep. When I'd go to put her back in her crib, she'd lose it! It was awful - this is definitely a new phase (not related to my original posting). So my husband slept on the floor beside her crib and that seemed to work out fine.

Tonight I will try the sippy cup with water and see how that works. My husband is out of town now for the next 4 nights so I've got to manage on my own.

If other people have suggestions, please let me know. I have a very happy, well-adjusted, lovely little girl, I just want her to let me sleep just a little longer... Also, eventually I will want to wean her and I figured eliminating this painfully early feeding would be a good way to get that going slowly...

She may also be hitting the worst of the separation anxiety stage. Hopefully, it will pass quickly. Good luck!