Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning to back to work

Default Weaning to back to work

I have a 11 month old who will be a year in two weeks. I will be going back to work shortly after her birthday but I still want to bf mornings and nights to at least 18 mths. I can't express enough to leave for the daycare provider so I would like to start giving her soy milk. Is it ok to start weaning her now by subsituting my afternoon feed with a good meal and soy milk? She won't take formula and does not like a bottle, but she will take soy milk from a sippy

Thanks

Default Re: Weaning to back to work

I'm not a nutritionist, so I can't really recommend a substitute for breastfeeding. <sorry> I can, however, tell you that many mothers do exactly as you've described! Feed baby directly from the breast when home, and offer substitutes when away, without pumping. This situation works best when the baby is older, and I imagine that this could work just fine for your family.

I am sure every baby is different, so it may depend on how much your child is eating. I went back to work when my son was 16 weeks old, and pumped 3 times per day until he was 9 mos. After consulting our pedeatrician & LLL, I reduced pumping till once or twice a day till he was a year and have continued to enjoy our breastfeeding relationship without pumping. He is 25 months old now and still nursing. Unfortunately, today I just learned I must wean him for (my) medical reasons, but we have both enjoyed the extended nursing. It really helped us stay attached even when I was back at work.

So long as she's still nursing at least 3-4 times in 24 hours, she shouldn't need any milk, soy or otherwise. A 12 mo should be able to get by just fine on water and solids during the day, so long as she bf a couple of times morning and evening.

I'm just curious as to why you would wean to soy milk instead of regular cow's milk? Is there an allergy involved?