Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown rice?

Default Brown rice?

So maybe I should wait on the couscous? What about brown rice?

Default Re: Brown rice?

Same deal. One year. If you do decide to give a grain, it should be soaked in whey or buttermilk for 12 hours.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    Same deal. One year. If you do decide to give a grain, it should be soaked in whey or buttermilk for 12 hours.
    Do you have any links to research regarding the 1 year wait for grains?

Thanks!
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I'm just confused because you're not supposed to start dairy until 1 year since its an allergen.....
    Lyn

That's what I was wondering too (about the dairy).

Here you go: http://westonaprice.org/children/nourish-baby.html
    (Disclaimer - not good for BFing advice, just nutrition info!)

Grains, nuts and seeds should be the last food given to babies. This food category has the most potential for causing digestive disturbances or allergies. Babies do not produce the needed enzymes to handle cereals, especially gluten-containing grains like wheat, before the age of one year. Even then, it is a common traditional practice to soak grains in water and a little yogurt or buttermilk for up to 24 hours. This process jump-starts the enzymatic activity in the food and begins breaking down some of the harder-to-digest components.1 The easiest grains to digest are those without gluten like brown rice. When grains are introduced, they should be soaked for at least 24 hours and cooked with plenty of water for a long time. This will make a slightly sour, very thin porridge that can be mixed with other foods.29

Thanks for that info!

My question is, because she is so far off base in regards to her BFing facts, why should we trust her food and nutrition facts? KWIM?

I do agree that wheat and other similar grains should wait, but millet, rice, quinoa are all very low on the allergen scale from what I understand. But then adding dairy into the mix is another high allergen.

We started with fruits and veg, then moved to brown rice and oatmeal.
    Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Thanks for that info!

My question is, because she is so far off base in regards to her BFing facts, why should we trust her food and nutrition facts? KWIM?

I do agree that wheat and other similar grains should wait, but millet, rice, quinoa are all very low on the allergen scale from what I understand. But then adding dairy into the mix is another high allergen.

We started with fruits and veg, then moved to brown rice and oatmeal.
    Very good question. I struggle with this too. My personal take on it is that the organization on the whole is pretty well-versed in BFing, but SF has such a slant because of her own negative experiences BFing. She doesn't have any training in BF research/support, only her own experience. She is very well-researched on nutrition, on the other hand.

I am also very reassured by the other TFers that I encounter on the web and IRL. They are much more educated with BFing than SF's literature would make it seem.

As far as waiting on grains, I think there is more at play than just whether or not a particular food is considered an allergen. The system is so complex. Everything affects everything else. Once you identify a symptom of a problem, you have to work backwards to find out the cause and it just seems easier to avoid having to go down that road at all (I am living this right now w/ my DD).

From everything I am learning about grains, I really don't think they are appropriate for myself, at least not in any substantial quantity. And since babies are so small, and have immature systems, it doesn't feel right to me to overload them with something adults even have a hard time handling.

Plus, babies have such a huge need for fat, that introducing a low-fat food in place of where a high-fat food could be fed, I think it would be advisable to avoid altogether.

Regarding dairy, I think the majority (not all, but the majority) of problems people have with it is in the processing, not the substance itself. Conventional commercial dairy is (IMO) pretty much disgusting and not fit for human consumption. The way the cattle are fed and treated makes it practically impossible to produce a wholesome food.

One problem is in the fact that they are fed a diet of almost 100% grains. They were not meant to eat grain, and this throws the composition of the milk all out of whack. Grass-fed cows produce milk high in omega-3's. Grain-fed cows produce milk with almost no omega-3's (just omega-6's).

Second, they are sickly animals that have to be pumped full of antibiotics to be kept alive. They never see the sun, never walk on grass, and are forced into such high milk production that they collapse after just a few short years of life.

Third, and this is a biggie, is the pasteurization, along with the other processing, like homogenizing, adding synthetic Vit D, and making it "low-fat". Buying "organic" can control some of the above problems, but it is still pasteurized. I don't want to go into it here, but I believe this is a big part of the problem people have with milk. We all know about the living components of BM. The same holds true of raw cow's milk (from clean dairies). These are destroyed by pasteurization and essentially rendered toxic. The WAPF website has a lot of info on this, as does www.realmilk.com.

Thanks!

What kind of symptoms was your DD exhibiting? My son seemed to be sensitive to wheat. And even now he poops 3-4 times a day @ 1 year old!
    Lyn