Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cereal in baby's bottle

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: cereal in baby's bottle

How long did you eliminate dairy for because it can take about a month or so to get out of both of your systems. I think you need to eliminate it for at least 6 weeks before you can tell if it's had an effect.

It's not recommended to put anything in the bottle here (UK) as it can cause baby to choke.

Have you tried non-dairy and non-soy formula?

we have tried over 10 different formulas and nothing seemed to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylensmom View Post
    we have tried over 10 different formulas and nothing seemed to help.
    I don't see how a formula would help, harder for baby to digest, seems to me it would make it worse.

I would do more research on breastfeeding friendly sites. I would also put a lot of weight on carpentergirl's advice, she's one of the main research girls around here and knows her stuff!!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

We had to have weight checks for the first few weeks, and Kayden hadn't even gotten back to his birth wieght by the 2nd one. The Dr. said if he wasn't back to his birthweight by the next week I would have to supplement w/ formula. We put 2 tbsp of rice cereal in and 8 oz bottle of ebm each night for 3 days before the next wieght check and he went from 7lb 10 0z to 7lb 15.5 oz, then up to 8lb 4 0z in 2 weeks. Then we went back to strictly bfing and everything has been fine. Our parents did it with us and we're fine right?? Same as belly sleeping after 2-3 months, I did it when I was a baby and I'm fine. As soon as I put my son to sleep on his bell he started sleeping through the night! Ultimately, it's your decision as the parent!!

Sounds like you have been exhaustive in your research. Have you tried elevating baby after a feed and for a while afterwards? How about inclining sleeping area. Forgive me if I am merely repeating what you have tried already. I am tired. I think in the end you will need to follow your instincts about what is right for your baby. It is possible that if you have really tried everything else, the solution your Dr came up with might be best. i really don't know, I'm not a Dr.

I looked up a link to some comprehensive information and possible things you might try to alleviate discomfort. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...refluxsymptoms
    I would bookmark this website, it has lots of good information.
    Here is another from a hospital: http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_spitting_hhg.htm
    Last edited by carpentergirl; December 9th, 2007 at 11:35 AM.

Here is a forum dedicated to the support of parents with children who have GERD. It has useful information regarding the types of cereal to thicken with and other solutions and research.

If you MUST thicken the milk, you can buy a specific product to safely thicken liquid. It is NOT cereal. I got lots of help for my son's reflux @ http://www.momswearingpuke.com
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thanx Lyn. If you have questions about reflux ask Lyn.

My son had GER (gastro-esophogial reflux) and would spit up 5-6 times per feeding. Our first doc knew nothing about it so we switched doctors. the cereal in the bottle is the old school way of doing things there is research proving that that can actually make the problem worse because no they are spitting up something with more texture which agravates the esophogus & can potentially be asparated during spitting up. Breast feeding your baby elevated and short frequent feedings is the best way to go, the breast milk actually helps alleviate the soreness in the throat. Also, my doc put DS on prevacid (Zantac tasted to strong so he would spit it out) that worked miracles. Keep in mind that your baby will grow out of it, my DS already has and he is only 9 months, usually by 18 months at the latest. Your baby is probably waking up because the reflux hurts, so once you fix the reflux prob the sleeping will probably get better too (that is what happened for me). If your docs first and only suggestion is to put cereal in a bottle he doesn't know a whole lot about reflux and I suggest finding a new doc.
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBNovDec98p175.html that is a really good resource