Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cereal in baby's bottle

Default cereal in baby's bottle

My daughter is 7 weeks old and she has bad reflux When my son had it also and his doctor told me to put cereal in his bottle and it really seemed to help him, I was thinking of doing the same for my daughter. I was wondering if any of you put cereal in your baby's bottle at such a young age and if so what reason did you have for giving it to your baby. I have so many people telling me that is bad to give a baby cereal in a bottle and that they should only have it one they can eat it off a spoon but my baby wont keep much milk down she seems to spit most of it up and I also know that when you put cereal in the baby's bottle it makes them sleep longer....I could use the sleep since my daughter eat every hour at night and I only get about 2-3 hours of sleep at night.

my name is Jennie happily unmarried to Russell

Mommy to Zachary Matthew 1/22/02 and Rylen Elizabeth 10/22/07

Default Re: cereal in baby's bottle

My 3.5 month old son has reflux. My dr. put him on Zantac and it worked for a while. Just last week, she told me to put cereal in his bottle and it's working wonders right now! A lot of people on this board completely disagree with it, but my son is the happiest he's been in a LONG time, so I'm sticking with it. I'm not sure about using cereal as early as 7 weeks, maybe you should call your ped and ask.

Mommy to Clayton Christopher born 8-18-07. And our new addition, Porter Lee born 12-10-08!
    Wife to Jeremy since 4-23-05

Dove Chocolate Discoveries
    Independent Chocolatier # 6740
    MoreChocolatesPlease@gmail.com

Is your baby breastfeeding?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

yes I am breastfeeding and pumping.

Last edited by Rylensmom; December 8th, 2007 at 10:47 PM.

I don't have any experience with putting cereal in bottles (or with bottles for that matter), but I think one concern is a choking hazard. Even bottle/nipple manufacturers don't want cereal going in there, they don't design a nipple for it. I think if you're going to go the cereal route, I'd try spoon feeding it.

I know that keeping your baby upright as much as possible can help and I know there are many mothers who know more than me about this but aren't hanging around over the weekend, so check back for more responses during the week.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Please don't! Read this: http://www.got-breastmilk.org/Onebottlewillhurt.shtml

It is generally about giving formula to a BF baby, but it applies to any "foreign" substance. I would encourage you to find another solution.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Hello!

I'd like to step in at this point and introject some information for you. Here is a study which verifies that cereals and solids before bedtime in fact do not make a baby sleep better.
    If you do witness something that makes you believe that it is due to the food let me suggest an alternative understanding. When baby has a shock to its system, through ingestion for example, it shuts down and sleeps so that the body can neutralize. You may see this with introduction of karo syrup as well.

I wonder if you might consider doing something else besides the solids at 7 weeks. Has a Dr. said this was a good course of action? There are many ways you can help alleviate discomfort due to acid reflux, without introducing solids. It seems like the solids would be a last resort. kwim?

Can you tell us what you have tried so far? Do you feel like any of the symptoms your baby is exhibiting might have to do with an allergy to something in your diet?

I know that sleeping is important to mama. When your baby eats do you feel like she is getting full? How is her latch?

The doctor suggested I put cereal in her bottle, she said that it might help her keep some of the milk in her stomach and spit so much of it up. I have tried changing my diet and I have also tried giving all different kinds of formula but nothing seems to help. the meds she is taking for the reflux seems to help with the burning of the reflux but not the spitting up. I am not sure if putting the cereal in her bottle is something I want to do even though her doc told me to due to all of the bad things I hear about giving such a young baby cereal. I just wanted to see if anyone else has done this and if it has helped. The doctor also said that it might help her sleep.

In particular did you try removing dairy?
    Have you looked at the allergy forum?
    I might also post in chronic conditions-baby.

tried it and it did not help.