Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I have a chance?

Default Do I have a chance?

I have a serious problem...
    My son is 2 months old. I was breasfeeding him for the first 4 weeks. I found out I would have to return to work when he is 6 weeks old. Deffinitely wasn't my choice! My milk supply started decreasing even though I was feeding him every two hours for 40 minutes at a time... Stress is probably the main reason...I have been working for two weeks now. I drop off my boy at my In-Laws every morning because they live close to my work and I can feed him at lunch, I am trying to pump every two hours at work, but my supervisor is not too happy about it. I can only get 30 ml at a time!!!!! I am in shock and panic! I don't want to give up breasfeeding, but I already have to supplement him with formula and I am not sure if there is a way to increase my milk production. Also, he has been sleeping through the night since he was 3 weeks old. I tried to wake him up a few times for the night feedings ( hoping that would increase my supply), but he refused to feed..
    Is there any way I could increase my milk supply being away from my baby all day and not being able to feed him frequently?
    Any suggestions are GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Default Re: Do I have a chance?

Awww girl lots of hugs to you! It could be all the stress you are going through. I swear by oatmeal..try to relax when you pump, i know it's hard. When i went back to work i only got 2 fifteen minute breaks to pump and relaxing helped a lot..also the oatmeal..lol..drink lots of water, nurse exclusively when you're with your baby (weekends especially) and try not to worry..you have a chance

Gosh...that really stinks. Perhaps you could educate your boss about the benefits of having an employee who bf (i.e. less sick days off b/c of healthier baby, etc.). Check the lactivism threads or working moms threads for others who have had to do the same. My biggest suggestion is to attend a LLL meeting or call a leader ASAP. They'll be there to support you. I have also heard of mothers who have formula fed their babies while at work and bf at home. You have to find the right balance for you and it does not have to be all or nothing. Tucking the baby in with you at night and wearing your baby will also promote your milk production as well.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Brenda, Thank you for advice about oatmeal... It is worth trying.
    I also started Fenugreek yesterday, hope it might do something for me...

Fezzik812, you're right, it doesn't have to be all or nothing... I just set my mind on breastfeeding way before my son's birth, so I am pretty much "fixed" on it... and ready to fight for it...

Hi Katerina
    There are many ways to increase your supply.
    May I suggest that you start by reading THESE articles, which will probably answer many of your questions:

Starting Over (rebuilding your milk supply)
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBmilksupplyissues.html

Supply and Demand
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun03p91.html

Talking to a La Leche Leader in person and having her observe you nurse, is always a good idea. You can find a local Leader by going to:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/contact.html

warmly,
    LLLnormaR

Wink Re: Do I have a chance?

First, just relax a little and know that there are so many woman in your same situation. I went back to work fulltime when my daughter was 3 months and nursed exclusively for her first year. I do field sales so I pumped in church parking lots, offices of my clients...basically anywhere I could. I ended up doing what you're doing and nursed during lunch when I could. Do the best you can! If you have to supplement, then you have to supplement. Remember why you are doing it and don't get hung up on doing it perfectly. I'm currently nursing my son and getting ready to go back to work next week so I know what you're going through. Keep up the great work and don't beat yourself up!! Sounds like you're doing great!