Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reccommend a cereal for us

Default reccommend a cereal for us

Im not kidding.Dyl is really picky

Default Re: reccommend a cereal for us

If you're talking about rice cereal or other special infant cereals, my recommendation is skip those all together.

DS never had any cereal and he's great (18 months now). On a few occasions I did regular oatmeal - just lightly toasted it in a pan then ground it up in a food processor then added some EBM and made up a little bit for him. That was ok but DS prefered bananas to cereal any day.

Good luck finding out what works best for you and your baby.

Quote Originally Posted by csan View Post
    If you're talking about rice cereal or other special infant cereals, my recommendation is skip those all together.
    Any specific reason for skipping those?

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I use Earth's Best Organic whole grain, mulit grain cereal and oatmeal. My LO really likes it mixed with pears or bananas.
    If your LO doesn't like it, skip it. It's not necessary that kids eat it...it's just thought to be a good starter food because it's easily digestable. I think you could give fruits and veggies in lieu of cereal and be just as happy.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

he is a huge fan of organic mashed bananas for breakfast. We whip up potatoes,carrots,apples etc and so I thought that was enough. Our ped said he really ought to be on cereal.
    I figured whod know better than you guys lol

The only cereal I feed is Healthy Times Organic Brown Rice. LO loves it and it has NO SUGAR!!! Not sure why every other brand adds it I was going to make my own until I found this brand,

Quote Originally Posted by babydylansmommy View Post
    he is a huge fan of organic mashed bananas for breakfast. We whip up potatoes,carrots,apples etc and so I thought that was enough. Our ped said he really ought to be on cereal.
    I figured whod know better than you guys lol
    He doesn't need the cereal. Maybe you've heard that around these parts before... I cant believe another pedi recommended a boxed food over whole foods

Quote Originally Posted by yequita View Post
    Any specific reason for skipping those?
    They just don't need them. You can find more info here. And here's a link on good first foods.
    Last edited by Number3; December 8th, 2007 at 01:28 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Here's another good link about cereal (you have to scroll down to the 4th heading & ignore the BFing info): http://westonaprice.org/children/nourish-baby.html

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    Here's another good link about cereal (you have to scroll down to the 4th heading & ignore the BFing info): http://westonaprice.org/children/nourish-baby.html
    So how do you puree meat? I don't want to use the commercial stuff. We were also told cereal because I have low iron.

lyndzee-I have low iron too.We use prenatals and I watch my diet carefully....(well I watch it to include things..things slip in time to time )
    Now on thanksgiving I let dyl have a taste of turkey in his carrots/tatoes. I dont know if this is what you mean or not, but I took the piece of cooked turkey cut it int average size bites with water and then ran it through our kidmill grinder thingy. I dont let dyl just get away with organic apples and bananas, because I really do thing they need to learn to eat their veggies now. He seemed to really like it. The kidmill grinders are between 20 and 30 dollars at target,etc; although Ive got to be honest, I dont see why you couldnt just use a food processor or smoothie maker.I admire you going to make your own cereal.It was the one thing I couldnt figure out how to do. I have given dyl brown rice cooked with carrots and yams.But thats not breakfasty.