Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reglan?

Unhappy Reglan?

I have a 3 month old son and am in the military. i work 16 hr shifts and get absolutly no support for bf'ing. i just recently got a new pump, I was hand expressing before, but now i have a medela lactina, and it works great. but i can only get 2oz from each breast in an 8hr period. My lactation consultant gave me More Milk pills to bring up my supply b/c i have had to supplement daily, even when i am home. but they have not worked, so my obgyn gave me a Rx for Reglan. Just wondering if anyone could share some knowlege about it.. if it worked for them or not. My son and i are also being treated for Thrush. Could that also diminish my milk supply? When i am pumping, how much should i be getting out of each breast, and how often? Thank you in advance to whoever can help me!!

Default Re: Reglan?

Hi there,
    I am sorry for the delay in my response to your post.

How are things going for you?

Did you fill the Rx for Reglan? I do not have any personal experience with it, but maybe bumping up this thread will get you some more responses.

I am sorry to hear that you do not get the support you need for BF. What a commitment you have made to try to do this for your ds! You are to be commended!

How long have you been using the Lactina? DId I understand you correctly in that you are only getting 2 oz. total from each breast in 8 hours? Has that changed?

The amount you "should" be getting out of each breast when you pump at this point is so variable. Every woman is so different. If you didn't have to pump you wouldn't know how much is normal-it would be as much as your ds needed to grow. So pumping can get a little confusing.

When you are with ds do you nurse him only? You mentioned having to supplement even when with him. Is this due to low supply?

I don't know that the thrush could cause low supply, but I will look into this more.

I just saw this thread.. I took Reglan for 2 weeks and noticed a big boost in my supply.

How long did it take to have an effect? I've been taking it for 6 days and haven't noticed any great changes.

I took Reglan, and did not notice any increase in milk supply. However, I did have success with Domperidone. Domperidone is safer than Reglan, as it's not associated with depression.

It is not available in the US, but you can order it without a prescription from http://www.globaldrug.tv

With the Domperidone, I noticed an increase within the first 48 hours of taking it.

I also wanted to mention that the pump may not be a good indicator on how much milk you're producing. Pumps are not effective for all women. A baby nursing uses suction, compression/massage with her lips, and her tongue to stimulate the nipple.

Good luck to you!

It took me over a week to notice a difference.