Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Successfully weaned 21 mo co-sleeping dd, now looking for bedtime help!

Default Successfully weaned 21 mo co-sleeping dd, now looking for bedtime help!

Weaning my 21 mo co-sleeping dd was a lot easier than I thought it would be (she has even slept through the night!), but she now takes quite a bit of time to fall asleep at night. Rocking her seems to help but she fights falling asleep~ asking to move to the bed. Once there, she rolls around and plays. How can I teach her to self-soothe and settle down? As we go through our bedtime routine (bath, jammies, brushing teeth, read a book and kisses goodnight) she is obviously getting sleepy and rubs her eyes, sometimes pointing toward the bed. Then its like she gets a burst of energy.
    We really want to try to transition to her crib, but I can't see doing too much at one time (she has been weaned for 2 weeks). I stay on the bed until she goes to sleep, and then DH & I join her when we go to bed.
    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    kiki-ny

Default Re: Successfully weaned 21 mo co-sleeping dd, now looking for bedtime help!

Well, after reading, you could say, "Oh, mommy has to go ______." (fold a towel? to the bathroom? whatever excuse.. try to make it true) And assure her you'll be RIGHT back. Then go and take your sweet time. When you get back, if she's still awake, go ahead and lay down with her and wait it out. Praise her for being patient and laying quietly. But do it again the next night and the next and take longer and longer to return. This is how my dd learned to fall asleep on her own. She, however, does NOT sleep through the night. Oh well. Anyway, when you think she's ready, perhaps you can then go shopping for a "big girl bed" or if you have that crib all set, you could go shopping for new sheets or paint it her favorite color or whatever and then maybe just maybe she'll ask to sleep in that one night.. A regular bed is nice, though, for those nights when she CAN'T sleep or is sick or something and you want to lay down with her without bringing back the "family bed." In our house, though.. we play musical beds. She's in ours... I'm in hers... but just about every night she goes to sleep by herself in her own bed, and sometimes wakes up there in the morning by herself too.

Default Re: Successfully weaned 21 mo co-sleeping dd, now looking for bedtime help!

Thanks so much for your suggestions. They are greatly appreciated!

I think Dr. Sears suggests having a mattress on the floor in your room as a transition place...

I don't have much advice but I sent you a PM about weaning, I'm ready to wean my 20 mos old son, and our situation sounds similar *hugs*
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

I wonder if a slightly earlier beginning of the bedtime routine might be helpful so she isn't too tired. 15 minutes might made a difference.