Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I Stop?

Unhappy Should I Stop?

I just had my third child. He was a repeat c-section. I breastfed my other two just fine. I seem to not have enough milk coming in for this child. He is five days old. I let him feed as long as possible and even tried to pump after him but my milk will not increase. I give him formula after letting him nurse so that he does not feel hungry. I really don't want to do that. I feel like I should give up on nursing because I can't give him enough milk. How long should I go on trying to feed him? Breastfeeding means the world to me.

Default Re: Should I Stop?

why do you feal like he isn't getting the milk that he needs?
    do you have a lll leader that you know to call? They can help!

Is the baby not gaining weight? Doesn't have enough wet/poopy diapers? why do you say he's not getting enough? Remember babies need to nurse a lot in the beginning and it may seem that you are not satisfying him.

Hi There!

Congrats on your new baby!

You say that you breastfed your two previous children without any problems. Did your milk come in sooner with them?

I suggest you call your healthcare provider and talk it over with him/her. Sometimes a health problem can be the root of a problem like this, like thyroid problems or a piece of the placenta left behind in the uterus.

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

It's not uncommon for milk to be slightly delayed in coming in after a c-section. Your milk should be in by day six. If not, for peace of mind, please call an IBCLC.

Also, do call your local LLL Leader for support and info! www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

Sometimes the increase in milk is not really noticeable, especially if baby has nursed early and often and/or your engorgement is minimal. Look at your baby's output. You'll know if this is the case. www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

How frequently is he feeding? Is he actively sucking? Do you have any nipple pain? How many wet and dirty diapers per 24 hours?

More info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/con...c-section.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

Thumbs up Re: Should I Stop?

Never give up !! I never believed in the power of OATMEAL until 2 days ago. Have a nice bowl for breakfast and dinner with some maple syrup, it does wonders !! Also, try brewer's yeast (it has a lot of vitamins and minerals). Relax and Good LUCK!