Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little 18 month old...should I worry?

Default Re: Little 18 month old...should I worry?

Of course I also don't know you, but I just wanted to say that in my situation, as well, my LO at 18 months was 21 pounds, and 33.5 inches tall. I don't know her exact weight now, at almost 2, but its around 23 pounds. She has grown a lot in height since 18 months- I don't know exactly but if I had to guess it would be about 35 inches now. She's tall and skinny, and always has been. She has gained a little consistently but is always getting taller fast. If you look at her relatives, many are the same way.

When I get her in for check-ups, they once mentioned giving her more dairy, but then when I said I still BF, they said that has more calories anyways. I never changed much, just offered food, but she never has eaten much. We also don't eat much "junk" food...so maybe that has to do with it too.

Lots of babies are smaller, of course don't ignore what the doctor has to say, but also realize that smaller babies/kids can be fine too. Maybe see how things go and get another opinion. You wouldn't want to miss an issue by just doing nothing, but I think there are also a lot of doctors who don't see many BF kids who eat well and are small.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Kudos to you for knowing your stuff and following your instincts. Don't feel bad for going against "dr's orders". They don't know diddly about nutrition OR breastfeeding. They just have to do the CYA thing and that's why she's referring you to people who MIGHT know something about nutrition (although they still know diddly about BFing, and in my mind BFing = nutrition, so...).

Anyway, my understanding is that being small is not in itself a reason for anyone, even a worry-wart ped, to be concerned about. The growth charts are based on normal, healthy children, right? Yes, they are. So, that means that normal, healthy children have to fall on every place in the curve, including 3%, 2%, 1%, etc... Make sense? So, unless there were other symptoms or signs telling you that there was a problem, then there is no problem! If your gut tells you she's fine, then, I'm sure she is!! You're doing great!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

My LO is 16 months and weights 18.5lbs and is 29.7 inches. We went to see a gastroenterologist due to the fact that he kept crying after meals and didn't really gain weight. Between the gastroenterologist and the nutritionalist it was discovered that he is Dairy and Soy intolerant. We have changed his diet to totally exclude these two and he is gaining weight now. But unless you have cause to be concerned I wouldn't bother with the gastroenterologist, but I agree a trip to the nutritionalist is not a bad idea, you may learn something new or not, but there is no invasive testing to be done and it's great to just discuss your LO's diet and see if there is anyway to improve it. Also a great way to check that you are on track with your LO's diet.

I wouldn't worry about charts and agree with PP's post that those weight charts are an average of Formula fed babies in the 50's and on all averages you have top scale and bottom scale that make up averages. I wouldn't be concerned and congratulations on being such a good mommy.

I still breastfeed my LO too. Carry on doing what your doing. YOu are doing great!

One thing to please think about! If your baby is not following their curve, that can be indicating something. I don't think it matters so much where they are, just as long as they pretty much follow a curve in the charts. I guess the worry is if they are not gaining or start losing, but are gaining in height, perhaps they start losing somewhere else.
    I guess your post really hit home because I felt EXACTLY the way you did, and got EXACTLY the same advice from doctors. This was when dd was 10 months old. I waited and things weren't changing, so we got some tests done.
    The initial test for gluten intolerance is a blood test, not invasive at all. :-)
    I wish you all the best.

Oh, I even got the advice to wean or cut back and didn't. Actually I am CONVINCED my breastfeeding is what prevented her from having more symptoms of her gluten intolerance. So she wasn't an ill baby. Now she's a super healthy toddler. And we are STILL BREASTFEEDING! whoo hoo.

God, it sounds like your doctor is trying to give your baby a heart attack! And they wonder why heart disease is the major cause of death in the US. Not to mention childhood obesity. I would switch pediatricians immediately if I were you. Ugh, what horrendous advice!

good job mama! follow your gut! all pp had very good advise/info for you!

I just wanted to say--don't feel bad for going against the doc and with your gut. You know your LO best, they can only go by numbers and charts since they only see them once in a blue moon for 10 minutes

They're there for advice and guidence, but they can't know everything!

My little girl is the same age and weight and she doesn't eat NEARLY the same amount or variety that yours does. We went to see a GI Dr b/c she was getting lots of constipation and when I told her what she eats she was VERy pleased and said she is eating great - this was at CHOP Children's Hospital of Phili - some of the best pedi's in the country. DO NOT let dr.s freak you out. I'm not a big woman - I'm 5 5 and 120 lbs - my girl is happy, healthy, active and mentally ahead of others her age. Look at the whole picture.

We had our 12 month check yesterday. Both babies are in the middle range for height and head size, but neither is on the growth chart for weight. They are both meeting all milestones on time or early, they are happy, and they eat well.
    Our doctor was only concerned because they had been following their own curves until now. They had both steadily been in the 3% and 7% for weight and then neither has gained more than a pound in the last 6 months. This, however, is exactly what our firstborn did, as well. All our doctor wants is a weight check in a month to make sure they are not losing and are at least gaining a little. They are growing in height and head size.
    Our situation with food is a bit different than yours, though. We have a lot of visible allergy issues. I would love to see a nutritionist to figure out what we CAN eat that has a lot of calories! For now, it's avocado in everything!
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah