Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: not pooping

Default Re: not pooping

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    EBF babies get no fiber. From the time they start solids until age one, there is not a particular amount of fiber a baby needs. Bottom line (no pun intended): there are different needs for different babies. A word to the wise though-studies show that constipated babies eat significantly less fiber than their more regular peers. I personally think balance is key.

I probably would have done the rectal thermometer trick before going out and buying a suppository. It has worked well for us also.
    Do you have links to any of these studies?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Like I said before, BALANCE is key to keeping things moving. In general, adult Americans tend to get far less fiber in their diets via veggies and other natural foods. They also have much more obesity than much of the world, which is why I think doctors are now leaning away from encouraging more fat in diets to keep bowels on the move. They don't know about or pay attention to the kind of fats they intake. You are probably not one of those people, healthymomma, so more healthy fat in your diet may be appropriate for you than it might be for someone else.

My lo is 6 months old, so we won't introduce butter and so on in his diet just yet. If he's anything like me, he'll love it! Just fruits, veggies and cereals for now...If I'm not mistaken, real butter has good fat, right? What about cholesterol? The problem with our family and the fat issue is that my hubby, had a heart attack at the ripe ol' age of 30, has coronary artery disease, and has to eat a low fat, low cholesterol diet. My baby has his genes, so we will have to diligently watch-not abolish-his fat intake as well as screen his cholesterol as he gets older. We all need some fat in our diets, just like we all need some fiber in our diets.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    Do you have links to any of these studies?
    Not as an internet link, but a study in a medical journal, yes.

McClung, HJ, et al: Constipation and Dietary Fiber Intake in Children. Pediatrics 1995; 96:999-1001.

Low-fat, low-cholesterol diets do not prevent heart disease or heart attacks. http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstru...nutrition.html

Yes, butter has good fats! Cholesterol is healthyful and NECESSARY, ESPECIALLY FOR BABIES! BM is high in cholesterol and is protective against future problems with high blood cholesterol (which is different than dietary cholesterol). HTH!

Low-fat, low-cholesterol diets do not prevent heart disease or heart attacks. http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstru...nutrition.html

Yes, butter has good fats! Cholesterol is healthyful and NECESSARY, ESPECIALLY FOR BABIES! BM is high in cholesterol and is protective against future problems with high blood cholesterol (which is different than dietary cholesterol). HTH!

Yes, bm has good cholesterol. It is baby's perfect food, which is why I bf. It already has fat in it, but it has no fiber. While he was ebf, he'd only poop once a week because it's digested so efficiently. However, pooping once a week would occasionally cause him to get backed up and uncomfortable, and he needed some help. When the thermometer trick didn't work, we went to the next step. His body tolerated prune juice nicely and that's what the doctor recommended since apple juice didn't do the trick.

Then he began eating cereal. Since bm has no fiber and cereal has very little, I'd have to intervene when he'd get backed up whether by taking his temperature or giving a bit of juice, which gently got the result we needed. Perhaps once we've seen that he tolerates the foods you first mentioned to help with unclogging him, we'll use those as a remedy and it may prevent it from happening once in his diet regularly. That is a little further down the road for us. He's not taking in any dairy just yet. We're taking it slowly.

Again, balance-everything in moderation-is key to a healthy heart. People (adults) must have an even (or close to even) ratio of good cholesterol to bad in their blood, exercise, a balanced diet, a certain sized waist line (yes, this directly correlates to heart health), and in my husband's case, medication. He didn't have a high enough good cholesterol count or a low enough bad cholesterol count. His triglycerides were high and weight was high due to the amount of fat and bad cholesterol he ate, a very unbalanced diet. He has a horrible family history working against him in both his genetics and learned behaviors when it comes to diet and exercise. Therefore, our son will learn, as my hubby and I continue to learn, to eat well according to our bodies' individual needs. Since he's already had one heart attack, he is prone to another. And since I cannot raise our child on my own, and because I want my child to live a long life, we're going to stick with his cardiologist's low saturated fat, low cholesterol diet until we hear from him to do differently. That's what is right for us.

Sorry, I didn't mean to push any buttons. I just thought you might be interested to know that there is a lot more research lately that shows the low-fat, low-cholesterol diet is unsuccessful at what it had been claimed to do for so long now. And now I'm finding out that fiber has the same problem (doesn't do what we've been told it does). I am disagreeing with doctors more and more often lately... doing my own research is what works for me. I know that other people feel better trusting their doctor.

Sorry, I didn't mean to push any buttons. I just thought you might be interested to know that there is a lot more research lately that shows the low-fat, low-cholesterol diet is unsuccessful at what it had been claimed to do for so long now. And now I'm finding out that fiber has the same problem (doesn't do what we've been told it does). I am disagreeing with doctors more and more often lately... doing my own research is what works for me. I know that other people feel better trusting their doctor.
    I know and I appreciate it. Truly. It arms us with more info to take with us to our appointments and ask what approaches are best for us. You're smart to question what doctors say. Ultimately, we're in charge of and responsible for our own health.

What's frustrating right now is how different his dietary needs are from mine.

Our family doc told us about a current study about gorillas, which are genetically very close to humans, needing little or no cholesterol that sounds very interesting. I'm eager to hear more about it. It's crazy that one minute we hear from the medical field how bad something is and the next it's not or vice versa.
    Last edited by mommamags; December 10th, 2007 at 12:43 PM.

This is a very interesting debate ladies! Thank you for disagreeing with each other - I've learned quite a bit.

healthymama - I read your replies in another constipation thread. I want to make the soup you provided a link for but I'm worried about using nonorganic meat for it. Organic food is available at only one store in this country and it's VERY expensive. 4 breasts of chicken = @ $12 - $15!!! I cannot afford this. Non-organic meat concerns me more than non-organic fruits and veggies. Should I ditch my anxiety and make the soup with regular meat?

Also, I do have trouble understanding how lots of veggies can be bad for LOs. My DS doesn't eat a lot of veggies whole (we're trying BLS with little progress in the veg area.) We are giving him some in organic pureed form. How many servings of veggies should babies get/day in your opinion?

Lastly, how do I know when my son needs medical attention for his constipation. We use the glycerin suppositories sometimes. He does produce poop but he cries at least once every other day trying to poop. They can be large but not always. Some days he doesn't poop at all - like today.

Thanks again!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaUAE View Post

Lastly, how do I know when my son needs medical attention for his constipation. We use the glycerin suppositories sometimes. He does produce poop but he cries at least once every other day trying to poop. They can be large but not always. Some days he doesn't poop at all - like today.

Thanks again!

Crying/straining while attempting to poop, inconsolable, trouble settling after a feeding, if your lo looks sick, streaks of blood, distended and/or tender belly... or anything that just makes you think you should call, do it. We parents are our babies' first line of defense when it comes to health, so trust your instincts.

I don't know how frequently they're supposed to go or what's normal for babies who eat solids. Each child is different, just like babies who are ebf. My lo has gone from ebf once-a-week poops to no set schedule for pooping now that he's eating solids. Sometimes he poops everyday several times and then he'll go for a few days without going at all. I can tell though when he needs to go but needs a little "encouragement". I like healthymomma's suggestion of fat in lo's diet to help keep things moving smoothly and saw a thread on having lots of avocados in lo's menu of foods. I would also def. ask your dr. about the poop issues and what the best remedy would be for him. There may be a dietary need there that needs to be addressed, either getting too much or not enough of something or things.

Comments interspersed:

This is a very interesting debate ladies! Thank you for disagreeing with each other - I've learned quite a bit.

Haha, I'm glad to hear it.
    healthymama - I read your replies in another constipation thread. I want to make the soup you provided a link for but I'm worried about using nonorganic meat for it. Organic food is available at only one store in this country and it's VERY expensive. 4 breasts of chicken = @ $12 - $15!!! I cannot afford this. Non-organic meat concerns me more than non-organic fruits and veggies. Should I ditch my anxiety and make the soup with regular meat?
    Unfortunately I agree that non-organic meat is much more problematic than produce. Especially when you are making stocks, I think it's really important to start with the best quality. I don't know what the selection is like at your store or if there's any other way to hook up with meat providers. Maybe you could order frozen in bulk off the internet? Some cheap ideas for cuts are basically to get scraps and bones to make broths with. These actually tend to be the most nutritious parts of the animals. Organ meats, feet, necks...what else...I guess just be creative. I use a co-op and usually buy frozen, because you can get a much wider selection than just what they are able to keep on hand at the grocery store. Does any of that help??

Also, I do have trouble understanding how lots of veggies can be bad for LOs. My DS doesn't eat a lot of veggies whole (we're trying BLS with little progress in the veg area.) We are giving him some in organic pureed form. How many servings of veggies should babies get/day in your opinion?
    I know, I was totally freaking out when I started to consider this idea. Here is another link about the Fiber Menace book: http://westonaprice.org/bookreviews/fiber-menace.html Something else that made sense to me came from the Raw Paleo Diet. Essentially, cavemen were much stronger than we are now, and were able to chew up their food much better, removing most of the fiber. This action was basically like "juicing" the fruits and veggies.

There are many groups that claim health benefits from juicing, and I always brushed it off that they were trying to sell juicers, and cavemen didn't have juicers! Plus, we've always been told that the whole fruit is better for you because it has the fiber, right? Well, since I started reading about this idea, I have come across many people who say that their bowel symptoms have improved greatly since going to low or no fiber diets. Sounds crazy, I know, but it's starting to make more and more sense as I do my research. ETA: I don't have the link, but if you go to www.proteinpower.com, click on blogs, then search for "mucus" you will find a really interesting analogy between fiber and smoking!!

As far as a recommended daily amount for LOs, I don't know that there is one, but for myself & DD I can say that I feel much better about cooked, fermented or blended stuff since it has been broken down somewhat. Also eating them with bone broths and enzyme-rich foods will help I'm sure.

Constipation problems are very nerve-wracking, and stress just makes them worse, so it's really a Catch-22. For us, I start to pull out the suppositories when DD has attempted to poop (squatting, hiding behind chairs, grunting, passing gas) for more than a day with no results. Also, if it seems like she's trying really hard but only passes some tiny pellets, I will assume there's more in there to get out.

Again, with my new research I prefer smaller poops (circumference-wise) so I know she's not getting stretched out. If she hasn't had much fiber lately then I don't worry about skipping a day here and there. A more important rule of thumb than "number of days since last poop" for me is "number of days between the last 2 poops". If that number is <2, then I am not worried. Also, if the last 1 or 2 poops have been comfortable for her to pass without a suppository, then I will assume all is well. The constipation is a vicious cycle you have to break, and not just treat the symptoms.

As far as medical attention, I would go by the child's temperament and whether the tummy is distended. If he is uncomfortable, not sleeping well, tummy is hard and bloated, and really crabby/emotional, combined with the constipation, then that's when I would worry about a blockage. This is very serious and needs medical attention. If I don't have reason to be concerned about a blockage though, I think my research is more effective than trips to the doctor.

HTH!
    Last edited by healthymama; December 10th, 2007 at 01:42 PM.

Tyson meat isn't organic, but it is all natural - no hormones or antibiotics. We can't aford organic either so I opt for this instead.
    Also if your just looking to make broth you can buy organic broth for much cheaper than chicken breast. If you have a kroger in your area they just started carrying a whole lot of store brand organic stuff.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel