Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: not pooping

Default Re: not pooping

Quote Originally Posted by RME View Post
    So I got the suppository and put it in he pushed it right back out, so I put it back in, he pushed it pack out and it was followed by poop. He definately needed to go.
    Thanks

Oh, good! I hope he feels better. Was it a lot of poop?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

It looked like something that would come our of an adult. It was crazy how quick it worked.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel

:tumbsup Like I said, just keep a lookout to make sure he's going every 3 -4 days. If his poop was that big, just imagine how that had to have stretched out his intestines. When it gets stretched out, the "go" reflex won't trigger until the poop gets very big. So it's important he go regularly for a while till it shrinks back to normal size. Good luck!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    :tumbsup Like I said, just keep a lookout to make sure he's going every 3 -4 days. If his poop was that big, just imagine how that had to have stretched out his intestines. When it gets stretched out, the "go" reflex won't trigger until the poop gets very big. So it's important he go regularly for a while till it shrinks back to normal size. Good luck!
    One thing that may help achieve this is to give by bottle or mixed in solid food, a tablespoon or two of prune juice. Start with once per day until you get the desired result: softer poo. Your lo may need just a bit more fiber or less of what's clogging him/her up. Prune juice may create a little extra gas, but that is a lesser evil, in my opinion, than stretched out intestines. The sugar in the juice pulls extra water into the digestion process and has extra water anyway. My SIL thought that when her lo was constipated, she needed to give ounces of it at a time, which resulted in what we fondly refer to as "ass-plosions". We've figured out that for our lo, we give 1 to 2 tbs. with the same amount of water by bottle when he's having trouble and it does the trick for him.

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    One thing that may help achieve this is to give by bottle or mixed in solid food, a tablespoon or two of prune juice. Start with once per day until you get the desired result: softer poo. Your lo may need just a bit more fiber or less of what's clogging him/her up. Prune juice may create a little extra gas, but that is a lesser evil, in my opinion, than stretched out intestines. The sugar in the juice pulls extra water into the digestion process and has extra water anyway. My SIL thought that when her lo was constipated, she needed to give ounces of it at a time, which resulted in what we fondly refer to as "ass-plosions". We've figured out that for our lo, we give 1 to 2 tbs. with the same amount of water by bottle when he's having trouble and it does the trick for him.
    I respectfully disagree that more fiber is called for. www.fibermenace.com

I think more fat and protein and less fiber will keep the colon in much better shape. However, I don't necessarily think juice is a bad idea, since most of the fiber is removed. Just be careful of the extra sugar, and of course, the ass-plosions. You can also try pear juice for a little more "subtle" effect.

But, the ideal is to keep things greased up and moving well to begin with, and not have to resort to such last-ditch efforts.
    Last edited by healthymama; December 8th, 2007 at 08:08 PM.

[QUOTE=healthymama;370947]I think more fat and protein and less fiber will keep the colon in much better shape. However, I don't necessarily think juice is a bad idea, since most of the fiber is removed. Just be careful of the extra sugar, and of course, the ass-plosions. You can also try pear juice for a little more "subtle" effect.QUOTE]

When we had our first constipation episode, our nurse suggested to try apple juice first, then move on to prune if that didn't work. Pear sounds good-I may have to try that too. Since they're higher in fat, would avacados help get things moving?

Apparently I cannot do the quote function properly today...sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    When we had our first constipation episode, our nurse suggested to try apple juice first, then move on to prune if that didn't work. Pear sounds good-I may have to try that too. Since they're higher in fat, would avacados help get things moving?
    Fats are very important for babies, so there's no harm in trying to see if that will help. There is somewhat of a shift in mindset needed though. When the diet is high in protein and fat, the stools are smaller and easier to pass. They may not be every day either. If you are used to the babe having lots of big bulky stools, then you might get concerned if there is less coming out on a lower-fiber diet. Protein is very well utilized, so there's not as much waste.

Also, I will again reiterate that if the gut is stretched out from too much fiber, you have to be very careful to break the cycle and help it shrink back up before expecting regular, easy poops.

Some other ideas on good fats for babies are butter, coconut oil, egg yolks, soft fatty meats, olive oil, yogurt, and bone broths are helpful as well. HTH!

EBF babies get no fiber. From the time they start solids until age one, there is not a particular amount of fiber a baby needs. Bottom line (no pun intended): there are different needs for different babies. A word to the wise though-studies show that constipated babies eat significantly less fiber than their more regular peers. I personally think balance is key.

I probably would have done the rectal thermometer trick before going out and buying a suppository. It has worked well for us also.

THanks for all your help. The suppository did the trick to get things moving. I don't think he was to stretched, he's had two more pliable movements today.
    Also, I had taken his temp. several times last week because of a cold, I was actually hoping that would help bt it didn't so we needed the suppository.
    I guess I just need to keep an eye on it and make sure he's going regularly.
    The reason it went so long was he didn't seen to be in pain.
    I bought some prune juice. Thanks for the food suggestion, he's not great with the sippy yet and we don't do bottles.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel