Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: not pooping

Default not pooping

DS is 10 months and been on solids for 2 months now. I know when just on breast milk they can go without pooping for weeks, but he is on solids and hasn't pooped in almost 2 weeks. has anyone else experienced this. He doesn't seem to be in pain or straining. He still passes gas but theres no sign of poop. Should I call the DR. or just wait?
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel

Default Re: not pooping

2 weeks is way too long. I can't believe he's not in pain!

I would give a baby glycerin suppository (not fun). If he doesn't go after that (within an hour), then he could have a blockage and you should definitely call a dr. If he does go - a lot - with the suppository, then for future I would recommend less solids, more BFing, and... this is going to sound strange, but I'm speaking from experience... Try not to give him much fiber. No grains, very limited raw fruits and veggies, and load up on lots of fat & protein.

You also will need to keep a lookout for him getting backed up again. His colon is likely very stretched out and it will take some time to heal back to its normal shape. You may have to use the suppositories every few days (3-4 I guess?) for a while until he is going on his own almost every day.

I can give you more details of our experience if you want, but that is the major lesson I have taken away from a year-long ordeal with constipation. There is a new book out that backs me up: www.fibermenace.com (Oh, and you might not want to mention this to the ped unless you want to get some dirty looks! )
    Last edited by healthymama; December 6th, 2007 at 04:32 PM.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Definitely call a dr before you attempt to remedy yourself. Please. We don't know if there is an underlying condition or problem. It is always wise to consult a physician before trying medications.

The reason I wasn't worried is he didn't seem to be pushing or straining until today. He doesn't eat much solids and has been eating less and nursing more the last several days. I'm going to give him prunes for breakfast and call the DR if he hasn't gone soon. I think I would have to get a suppository from the dr anyway.
    Thanks
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007

2 wks...wow. My LO can go a few days w/o pooping but 2 wks is a long while. Are you doing cereal w/the solid foods? Maybe cut the cereal for a few days b/c that can cause blockage. My Dr also advised us that we can give about 1oz of warm water a day. That has helped "slide" things along for us in the past. I would def let the Dr know but you may also want to take a look at the foods your LO is eating.
    Cereals, bananas & carrots are constipators. Try peaches, apricots or, yes, prunes...small doses though b/c they can cause lots of gas.
    Best of luck.

He has been eating a lot of carrots lately. I'm going to give him prunes for breakfast and see what that does.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007

Quote Originally Posted by RME View Post
    I think I would have to get a suppository from the dr anyway.
    No, you can get them from the drug store.

My EBF baby went 11 days without pooping!!! I was very concerned but my DS wasnt in any pain, obviously wasn't constipated or bloated. My pediatrition told me to give him a liquid supository because she had never heard of a baby not going poop for that long.( she was more puzzled than I was)

I went to Safeway and gave him less than the recommended amount and within 3 minutes he had the funniest look on his face as "Niagra Falls" was pushing through his system!

But there wasnt really much more than usual in his diaper....I guess he was digesting all the BM

Proud mother of our beautiful little angel in heaven (19 weeks on 1/19/2007)

Proud mother of Jadon Eli born 6/26/07 (a TTTS survivor) My joy and miracle baby

[

Quote Originally Posted by jadon's mom View Post
    My EBF baby went 11 days without pooping!!! I was very concerned but my DS wasnt in any pain, obviously wasn't constipated or bloated. My pediatrition told me to give him a liquid supository because she had never heard of a baby not going poop for that long.( she was more puzzled than I was)

I went to Safeway and gave him less than the recommended amount and within 3 minutes he had the funniest look on his face as "Niagra Falls" was pushing through his system!

But there wasnt really much more than usual in his diaper....I guess he was digesting all the BM
    Going that long between poops is not a problem if the baby is EBF, unless they are showing signs of discomfort. It is only when they are on solids that you want to watch out for them getting blocked up.

So I got the suppository and put it in he pushed it right back out, so I put it back in, he pushed it pack out and it was followed by poop. He definately needed to go.
    Thanks
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007