Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can pumping decrease your milk supply?

Question Can pumping decrease your milk supply?

My son is 9 weeks old. We have had difficulty breastfeeding from the beginning and I have had to supplement him for the last 6 weeks. The LC who I have worked with really want me to pump more to help increase my milk supply, but pumping is quite painful. I am trying to give it at least one last go round but the more I pump the less milk I seem to get at each pumping session. This morning I got less than an ounce total from double pumping for 20 minutes. And it has not been much better all day. Yesterday when I began pumping again I was getting more, and with each pumping session I seem to get a little less. Any ideas?

Default Re: Can pumping decrease your milk supply?

Hi there,

What type of pump are you using?

How many times in 24 hours are you pumping?

Pain with pumping is not normal. Could it be possible that you need different sized flanges for your pump? Also, could you have the suction set too high?

LLL suggests pumping for two minutes after you see the last drop fall.

I will wait for your responses. Hang in there!

I am using a pump in style basic.

I pumped 5x yesterday. The lactation nurses we have been working with would like me to pump 6x--after every daytime feeding--for 15 minutes.

I have tried using the large and extra large shields, as well as the soft shields. The extra large shield caused the pain to move farther towards the areola, rather than more focused on the shaft of the nipple.

Yesterday morning, after pumping three times the day before, I already had fissures from the pump. I know it is the pump because though nursing is also painful, we have come up with a solution (a nipple shield) to make the pain tolerable and it also seems to be preventing further soreness. (My low milk supply is unrelated to the shield -- my son has difficulty sucking and moving milk. We are working with a OT to help this problem.)

I pump with minimum suction the entire time. But even that hurts. (As a side note, I rented a Lactina for a week as I left the hospital. That was also painful at minimum suction.

Thanks for any suggestions!

i had a Pump in Style and could never get much with it..have you tried renting a hospital grade pump? i use the medela classic..i bought one on ebay and plan on selling it back on there when i'm done...it's really helped me out.
    here is my list on how to increase your supply..i'm working on building mine back up once again

1. rent a hospital grade pump..Medela Classic is what i'm using..it's $3 a day and totally worth it! OR better yet buy one off ebay and when you're done you can re-sell it on ebay and get your money back. i bought one and it works great..the medela classic is supposed to be the best pump out there.
    2. get the Easy Expression bra www.easyexpressionproducts.com it holds both cups over you bb's and it's better to pump 2 at a time
    3. eat oatmeal for breakfast..get the healthy kind i add bananas
    3. Take "Lactation Supplement" by Gaia Herbs you can find it at the health food store
    4. try to pump at the same time every day...i try to get in 3 pumping sessions ..it's hard for me b/c Cas wakes up when i do it or i am busy with him so i have to wait til night after he's asleep
    5. Make sure the white membrane thingies that attach onto the cups are fairly new ..over used ones affect how much milk you get
    6. Drink lots of fluids including Nursing Mom's tea or Mother's Milk tea..also drinks with electrolytes like Recharge...Smart Water...Gatorade i notice on days i drink a lot of fluids i have more milk
    7. Eat barley..they have barley bread at Trader Joe's if you have a Trader Joe's where you live..or just buy barley. I buy a delicious barley tea at the japanese market and i drink a couple of cups a day..it's decaf and yummy.
    i also drink Healthy Mom's drinks by Ensure
    8.A warm wash cloth helps too ..apply to breasts before pumping or try the breast heating pads that you heat up in the microwave.
    9. Keep taking your prenatal vitamin..not getting a lot of milk could mean a vitamin deficiency
    even if you pump just a little ..save what you get and start adding them together and then supplement with the milk that you pump..that's why it's also good to pump after they've gone to sleep..then you help build your supply and you also have more bb milk for baby..
    10. nurse nurse nurse..triple up on nursing..you're going to have to dedicate a week to it
    the more you pump the more milk you'll begin to make.
    11. LOTS OF REST..nap if you can ..milk builds when you rest
    12. DHA supplements also are great for lactation..also found at the health food store*
    13. Alfalfa supplements are also great.
    i think that's it..
    so drink LOTS of liquids
    keep yourself moist ...don't take any birth control pills.

It sounds as if you have a lot of trouble pumping-lots of pain, and you have tried many things to help this.

Have you tried lubricating the flanges before pumping? Some moms find it helps to do this, they have just used a natural oil such as olive oil.

Also, have you ever tried manual expression? Some women do have a difficult time finding a comfort level with pumping. Here is a link:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/b...ps.html#manual

(not all LLL resources)

My reply doen'st have anything to do with your milk supply but I noticed you said it was painful to pump but also painful to nurse. I have "nipple vasospasm." I am nursing my second child and with my first it took us 3 months to figure it out. These would be some questions that if you answered yes to them maybe you have it too... Do you have sensitivity to cold? When I would get cold my breasts would hurt - even if I was just a little chilled in a restaurant or something. When you get out of the shower or after you've fed your baby have you noticed if your nipples get discolored? Mine would get white/purple... It is just an idea. Like I said it took 3 months for us to figure out what was wrong with my first child and I knew within one day that the same thing was happening with my second. My Dr. put me on nifedipene and it has greatly reduced many of the symptoms of "nipple vasospasm." I was on the medication until my firstborn was 7 months old and then I was able to taper it off. I'm still taking a high dose and my second is 6 months old. I would highly encourage you to read up on it there is a lot of info on the net about it. It isn't something that is very common - at least I don't think so. Like I said - just a thought... but it would be worth checking into if you're having pain when you're nursing too. We couldn't figure out what was wrong and I was ready to give up breastfeeding until my LC suggested this. GOOD LUCK

I have tried EVERYTHING - including lubrication. That resulted in little blisters all over my areola. I am relatively sure that I do not have vasospasms. I am taking B6 which is supposed to help those that have renaud's.

I have not tried a classic pump. Is it safe to buy a classic pump from someone else? I know the pump in style is supposed to be a single user pump.

Sorry for my delayed responses to your replies. I had given up hope that people would reply.
    Last edited by jdwildcat; July 4th, 2006 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdwildcat
    I have tried EVERYTHING - including lubrication. That resulted in little blisters all over my areola. I am relatively sure that I do not have vasospasms. I am taking B6 which is supposed to help those that have renaud's.

I have not tried a classic pump. Is it safe to buy a classic pump from someone else? I know the pump in style is supposed to be a single user pump.

Sorry for my delayed responses to your replies. I had given up hope that people would reply.
    You can find some pretty reasonable prices on Ebay for some used pumps or new. You can even find the hospital grade pumps. The recommend that you do not use used attachments, you can buy those new for the pump (tubing, suction cups, etc.). I got lucky and getting one from my neighbor to use so i won't be buying one. HTH!