Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desperate for help...

Smile Hi there ~

I'm so sorry that you are having pain and feel so frustrated. But it is GREAT that you know where to go/come for help and support. I completely agree with the above sentiments to get in touch with a local LLL Leader. But I also wanted to tell you that it is a good sign that the pain you are experiencing goes away a few seconds/minutes into the feeding. Your baby obviously had a bad latch or her positioning was bad in the very beginning if you've got cracked/bleeding nipples. It is possible that you've resolved that at this point though and the pain you are feeling is residual from those cracks.

Try paying extra special close attention to baby's latch and her positioning. Her being positioned even a fraction of an inch improperly can lead to soreness.

I really think you need some one-on-one help though -- you need someone to evaluate baby's latch and her positioning firsthand.

I hope you reach out further for some help -- you can get through this! This is something that is very easily overcome and you can do it. Keep your chin up -- you'll get through it!

Carol

Default Re: Desperate for help...

Well, a lil update for you all. Since I first posted this I had to go to the emergency room because I developed mastitis. The flu like symptoms hit me like a truck. I'm on antibiotics and feeling better now tho. During the weekend, I pumped my L breast and fed her off my R breast to heal the cracks. The cracks in my L breast are pretty much healed but now the ones in my R are getting worse. I keep trying to find a good way to latch her, but she's so wiggly when she latches. She shakes her head back and forth while openning wide. I bought a medela nipple shield, but am hesitant to use it on my own since it says on the box to only use it under supervision or guidance of a dr., LC, or BF professional.

I've sent emails to 2 local LLL leaders. I sent the emails out either wednesday or thursday last week. I still havent heard back from either of them. Its been about 4 or 5 days with no word. I'm getting discouraged. But my pediatrician did give me a card for this LC and her office opens in an hour. So im gonna call and see if I can schedule with her. I'm just worried about the cost of a visit.

I'm hanging in... but getting very close to my frustration/breaking point.

Try calling the La Leche League Leaders. They're leaders and they fully expect phone calls. Don't worry that you'll be bothering them.

If you are worried about the cost of a LC visit, consider how much you'll spend on formula if you can't get this worked out If you spend $85 on a office visit to an LC it will be the best $85 you ever spent in your life, honestly. But keep trying with the LLL Leaders - they're free and a wealth of knowledge.

Keep working on the latch. Your baby is *very* young still. The head shaking thing is pretty normal. While you're on the antibiotics you'll probably want to be taking a probiotic as well to help ward off thrush.

If you have a pump use it often, it helps to draw the nipple out for a better latch. I too had a very bad cracked nipple from a poor latch. The other thing I learned is to squeeze your nipple at a 3 and 9 clock position with your middle finger and thumb to latch properly and do not let go. You have to hold it for most of the feeding until your little one gets bigger and she will be able to draw it in herself. Please don't give up it will work. My little one is now almost 4 months and we enjoy our nursing time now.

<<<<<Hugs to you!!>>>>>

Any update since yesterday? Just wondering how you made out with the LC and if you caught up with an LLLL.

Quote Originally Posted by jarapeles
    She shakes her head back and forth while openning wide.
    Take notice of how you're holding her next time you nurse. Is anything touching her cheek or the back of her head? Sometimes babies get confused if they feel something on their cheek or on the sensitive area on the back of their head. Babies are born with a reflex that causes them to turn in the direction that they are touched and if they feel something on both sides of the face, for example, it can confuse them.

I bought a medela nipple shield, but am hesitant to use it on my own since it says on the box to only use it under supervision or guidance of a dr., LC, or BF professional.
    Yes, it should be used under the guidance of a professional.

I've sent emails to 2 local LLL leaders. I sent the emails out either wednesday or thursday last week. I still havent heard back from either of them. Its been about 4 or 5 days with no word. I'm getting discouraged. But my pediatrician did give me a card for this LC and her office opens in an hour. So im gonna call and see if I can schedule with her. I'm just worried about the cost of a visit.
    Call! It's not a problem at all! Leaders expect to be called. Also, it wouldn't hurt to see an IBCLC. If money is an issue, you might consider talking to her about making payment arrangements or even ask if she has sliding scale fees (based on income).

I'm hanging in... but getting very close to my frustration/breaking point.
    I totally understand. Take care of yourself. And do keep us updated!

try latching baby's bottom lip on before top lip. Helps get more nipple in!

I am hoping that there is some good information for me in this post. My son is three days old, was born at 35 weeks, and I am engorged, sleepless, and incredibly uncomfortable. How can I find someone to come to my home to help me with latch? We seemed okay at the hospital, but the last 24 hours have been really hard on both of us.

frustrated but determined

Ejpolkmom,
    You can call one of your local LLL Leaders and specifically ask them to pay you a visit. Many LLLL's do this if asked but don't necessarily offer to do it. You can find a local leader in your area by going here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

In the interim, is there anything we can do here to help? If baby is having trouble latching due to engorgement, try pumping some milk off just to pull your nipples out a bit & soften the breast a little. Also, here's some info on positioning and latching - hopefully it'll help! http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/positioning.html

Frustrated but determined,

Congratulations and <<<hugs>>> for feeling a little overwhelmed! You have a new baby and you are tired and having a hard time. I remember those days!

One of the best ways to help with engorgement is to nurse, nurse, nurse! But here are some other suggestions.

Suggested Care Plan for Engorgement
    New Perspectives on Engorgement
    Mary Kay Smith, IBCLC
    Romeoville, Illinois, USA
    From: LEAVEN, Vol. 35 No. 6, December 1999-January 2000, pp. 134-36

Frequent feedings: at least every 1.5 to 2 hours around the clock; let baby nurse as long as possible, no time restrictions at the breast.

Warm compresses can be used for a few minutes prior to a feeding if the mother desires. Use a warm, wet towel to cover the entire breast. It may facilitate milk let-down in the early stages of engorgement.

Gentle areolar expression can help soften the areola to assist with latch-on.
    An electric breast pump can be used at low settings, if necessary to empty the breast enough to facilitate a latch-on.

Vary nursing positions to help promote drainage of the breast; use gentle massage during a feeding if it is comfortable.

Apply ice or cold compresses to the breasts between feedings or pumping sessions for approximately 15-20 minutes.

Raw green cabbage leaves can be used as a compress instead of ice, if desired. The leaves should be changed when wilted or after 2 hours. The breasts should be assessed for reduced swelling and enhanced milk flow with each change of cabbage leaves until the desired result is obtained.

A supportive bra may be helpful; avoid underwire styles at this time.

The mother may ask her doctor to suggest an anti-inflammatory drug compatible with breastfeeding for pain and swelling.

The mother should contact a health care professional if any of the following symptoms are present: temperature of more than 100.6 degrees F (38.1 degrees C), chills, body aches, localized pain or flu-like symptoms. Breastfeeding is not contraindicated in the case of an elevated temperature.

Definitely call a Leader! She would be happy to help you!

Take of yourself! Just settle in and nurse a lot! Things will get easier!