Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desperate for help...

Default Desperate for help...

My daughter is only 5 days old and I want nothing more than to breastfeed her. My nipples have been cracked and sore since day 2. It has gotten to the point where I have to force myself to hold back a scream of anguish everytime she feeds. Usually the pain subsides or becomes bareable after a minute or so. I think it might be due to incorrect or bad latching. My nipples are extremely large and my baby's mouth is very very small. But today it got so painful that I actually screamed out in pain, started crying, and had to immediately stop feeding her. I don't want to stop breastfeeding her, but I really don't know what to do, it's SO PAINFUL. I've been using lanolin, but it doesn't feel like it's helping. I don't want her to become dependent on a bottle. Someone please help.

Default Re: Desperate for help...

I had the same problem. It is, like most breastfeeding problems, due to poor latch. You have to get help immediately. If you don't have anyone near you who can show you how to make sure your baby is latched on properly, I found that these videos were very helpful to me:

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml

Once you get the proper latch, your nipples will not hurt anymore, even if they are damaged. Mine were bleeding and I still managed to nurse almost painlessly. They also heal very quickly, you will not believe it.

I had a similar problem. I cried for the first 3 weeks every time she ate. I worked with 2 lactation consultants at her pediatrician's to help with latch. She has a very small mouth, so it was hard to get a good latch. We never did get it perfect, but we found something that works well enough for us. My pediatrician has also come up with a prescription cream of his own design that I had to have mixed special at the pharmacy; it worked wonders. The main igredient is hydrocortisone, which I've read helps lots of people with the pain and cracking and bleeding (which I had bad!). I wouldn't use over-the-counter hydrocortisone, but if you have a sympathetic doctor you can talk to about it, the main ingredient was a low dose of hydrocortisone and an antifungal in case the problem was thrush. I started healing within a day of using it. Lanolin did nothing for me.

The upside is that she's now 8 months old and still nursing. I never thought I could do it during those first weeks. Try to hang in there, it really does get easier, even though I know you probably can't believe that right now!

find a lll leader in your area and call her today she can help!

I am so sorry for your troubles...but take heart...it is early and this is definitely something that can be fixed with help. I would call an LLLL today and let her know that you need help quickly...don't try to cover up your pain. She will help! If you don't have a number, check here:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

Hang in there! You can do it!

I had a similar problem not with cracked nipples but with poor latch due to large flat nipples and a 36 week baby with a little mouth. My lactation consultant gave me a nipple shield which made it easier for my baby to draw the nipple into her mouth and get a good latch. It took a few weeks but eventually now that her mouth is bigger she latches on well and is growing beautifully. Good luck!

I had the similar experience with my daughter, found that she was just a very enthusiastic nurser. The one thing that I found that really help with crack nipples was lanolin cream(spelling might be off) but I found that it really worked for me. It didn't take long for the pain and bleeding nipples to go away. Hope it helps.

I also had extremely cracked, split, blistered, bleeding nipples. Lanolin didn't seem to help, using a nipple shield helped reduce the pain, but still my nipples didn't heal. What finally saved my life was a perscription for something called all purpose nipple ointment. After 4 weeks of terrible pain and no sign of improving, the nipple ointment got them started healing right away, and within 10 days they were finally totally healed. Since then, there has beem no pain at all involved in breastfeeding. My baby is 13 weeks old and doing great.

A good latch is definitely important, but you also have to make sure your nipples get healed! Hang in there!

Lanolin did not help me. All I used was expressed breastmilk and letting the nipples air dry. Once I got the latch right, my nipples healed quickly, even the blisters. No medicine. Just to let some of you lurkers know that you don't HAVE to do that.

Hi I had the same problem when I started breastfeeding my son. I would scream everytime he started sucking. I would cry, I was just so sad that I could not do this for my son. He was 6 days old, and I did not want to give up. Here is the advice I was given from my lactation consultant. Buy some breast shells. Wear them for 2-3 days, but pump your milk, try not to breastfeed, unless you are feeling better. Then when you do feel better, football hold the baby, and hold the baby by the neck, pretty much shove him into your nipple when his mouth is open the widest it can get. Trust me, it will go away, and after 2 days of the shells, you WILL feel better. Hope i helped!