Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the time is now....

Default Re: the time is now....

I would say that at James' age, the don't offer/don't refuse is a good place to start. That's about where I started with Cameron, and it worked well, aside from the nightweaning . Distraction works wonders!

And yes, the pp's are correct--set your expectations to be as flexible as possible. If you don't have exact dates in mind, it makes it easier on the both of you. I, too, had the one step forward, two steps back. Then one day, it's suddenly over.

Default Re: the time is now....

Well just to throw my 2 cents in. You still have time to wean him IME. It took about 2 months for me to wean my oldest 2. It took 4 months with Mark but that was in part due to his older age and a more mixed feelings on my part. I contemplated tandem nursing but my sister's experience wasn't very good - her 2 year old had only been nursing one time a day for many months but after the newborn's arrival she wanted to nurse everytime he did and threw major tantrums about it. And while I'm not saying I'd never do it, it's hard to get past her experience.

Paul wasn't nursing much during the day when I began but after night weaning him he substituted day time nursing. Since the middle of the night nursing troubled me the most I eliminated that first. If you cosleep I'd recommend Dr. Jay Gordon's method.

With my first 2 particularly I found it extremely useful to get our daytime nursing on a schedule. I'd create a fairly liberal nursing schedule and then tried my best to stick to it. That gave me a grip on how often they were nursing. Keep plenty of favorite foods, beverages, and activities on hand. Often when they'd ask to nurse they were hungry/thristy and perfectly willing to accept a non-breastmilk alternative.

I then dropped a feeding every 3-6 days. I began with the ones that seemed least important to them or most irksome to me.

Again, Mark was different but he was older and I was trying to cut him back drastically in preparation for a weekend away in August. With him I cut back fairly quickly to 2 feedings but then stayed there for a long time. When we finally cut those out it was a very slow transition from twice a day to once and then he even nursed every other day and then even every 3rd day for a while. My other kids didn't do that but I think it was because they were much younger.
    Last edited by @llli*AllNightDQ; December 8th, 2007 at 03:27 PM.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.