Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the time is now....

Default the time is now....

i need to start weaning james once i hit the 6 month mark, i knew i could go until 2. i figured i got that far, 2 would be nothing. what i didn't plan on was becoming pregnant again so soon. i cannot tandem nurse, and, really i don't want to. this is making me so sad, but i need to start now because i am less than 4 months away from dd being born. i have no prob keeping 1 or 2 nursing sessions a day if it makes james more comfortable. please help! any advice is welcome!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Default Re: the time is now....

awe I remember thoose days when I was pg with my 4 year old.
    I just had to wean her older brother he was just plain killing me!
    You can still do it slowly.
    The last times to go for us were nap and bed time.
    For nap he gave up the naptime nursing prety easily.
    The bed time one we just read lots of stories and played music for him.
    IS your hubby willing to help with the bed time weaning?

unfortunately i can't really factor dh in on helping with the weaning. if he was here, he would help any way he could, but it's busy season in the music world and we don't see him much this time of year, at least not during our waking hours. i think, i'm really not sure how to even start the process.....
    Lisa
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBweaning.html

maybe start with some of the weaning links:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bfpregnant.html
    this one talks about dont offer don't refuse:
    The approach of "don't offer, don't refuse" is one that has worked for many mothers. See if you can anticipate when your child is likely to ask to nurse and offer a distraction or a healthful snack instead. Avoid sitting in your favorite nursing chair. Be sure you give lots of extra hugs and attention. Remember that weaning a toddler can be hard work: continuing to nurse is sometimes easier for the mother. See these FAQs for additional thoughts on weaning.

check out the womanly art too it has a great chaper on weaning.
    if you have any other ? don't be afraid to ask.

thanks, andrea! i think i feel so lost because i was not ready to start this yet...
    i will check out the link and i have the womanly art, so i will look at that too!
    Lisa
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

be prepared for 3 steps forward and 1 step back at least that's how it seamed for me..
    IF you can wean back to bed time and nap time maybe you'll feal alot beter about weaning the rest of the feeds..
    Once my older one was down to nap and bed he didn't nurse long and there wasn't alot of milk. There is hope that your milk supply will drop more and toddler will sort of cut thoose feedings out on his own.
    you've got plenty of time untill the baby comes.

I would advise you to throw out expectations and go with the flow for the most part. Whatever method you decide to use, whatever temperament your child, each day is different and like Andrea said, you take some steps forward and some steps back. But follow his cues and give lots of reassurance and love in other ways and it will go more smoothly. Most of all don't get frustrated when it doesn't go just the way you think it should. At the same time, it can be shocking how easy they give up certain feedings. Good luck!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I didn't wean Nicole first and tandem nursed for about 5 months. It's the most exhausted I've ever been in my life!! And, as much as I loved nursing Nicole, a part of me was glad she was finished.

She did it on her own though. She was down to morning, nap and bed time. She let morning go first. Just didn't ask one day. Then nap and then finally bed time.

I don't have much to offer in the way of advice, but lot's of support here.

I thought I would wean DD before the new baby was born at first, but decided to keep one feeding per day to meet DD's needs. I couldn't handle the thought of nursing both a newborn and toddler "on demand/cue" but keeping one feeding seems manageable. We shall see how it works.
    Anyway, I managed to limit her relatively painlessly through lots of affection, distraction, and replacement snacks/drinks. I got most of my ideas from How Weaning Happens as well as here. I highly recommend the book-easy read with lots of great suggestions.
    HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I have no advice, only
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.