Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have milk again???

Question I have milk again???

Not sure where to post this but here goes....

We weaned completely around two months ago. My milk dried up pretty quickly. No sign of any and my boobs deflated in a hurry. A couple of weeks ago, maybe three, I noticed a little bit of colostrum coming out of one breast after a fun filled evening with the hubby Thought it was a bit strange but nothing to worry about too much. Well for the past week or maybe more, Audrey has been way more clingy and this week all she says is "bite, bite, bite" and signs "eat" I feed her of course but she refuses half of her snacks. She is teething pretty fiercely so I kind of contribute it to that. Well today she started lifting up my shirt, and at one point pointed to her own nipple and said "bite". I thought, she is wanting to nurse! Well sure enough, I started feeling around and they are heavy and full of milk. Not overly full, but there is def some in there. I was able to express some too and it was colostrum.

So what gives? Any ideas why the milk is back? Anything to be concerned about?

BTW, I took a pregnancy test and it was negative.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Default Re: I have milk again???

interesting. Maybe give a laction consultant a call, I think its odd that colostrum would come back, but I know nothing about relactation. Let us know?
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

I have had the same thing happen to me. Its been over a year since I have weaned and I will still occasionally feel a let down if DS is extra fussy (its a little painful not just tingly) and I can actually hand express some colostrum if I really try.

Sorry to jump in here but I have to say that's really cool! It's nice to know that if we wean and for some reason the LO needs to come back to the breast, we can count on our body to come through with the milk. So I have to ask... Did you let her nurse?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

No, she has several food allergies and my milk would be "contaminated". It would take weeks back on an elimination diet before I would even consider it.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I thought after one year that allergens from BM stop affecting the LO.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    I thought after one year that allergens from BM stop affecting the LO.

Wow, that would be a dream come true for many mama's here but no, it is absolutely possible and happens all the time with minimum exposure. Go to the allergy forum for proof.... Just curious where you got that info though?

Misty

Blogging here.

One of my LLL leaders has a highly allergic baby and she said it came from her allergist. So, she started to test it out and reintroduce some foods she had been off for her son's 1st year. I think it worked... I guess it could be different for everyone?

The longer you avoid, the more you give them a chance to outgrow them. Sounds like she was one of the lucky ones. But if the allergies remain, reactions continue. Outgrowing some is possible and happens but it wouldn't be true in every case by any means. Just wanted to clear that up. Would hate to perpetuate the myth.

Kind of strange that an allergist would say that... Maybe something got lost in translation.

Misty

Blogging here.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    One of my LLL leaders has a highly allergic baby and she said it came from her allergist. So, she started to test it out and reintroduce some foods she had been off for her son's 1st year. I think it worked... I guess it could be different for everyone?
    I think it is concerning that a LLL leader could be sharing this info with other allergy moms. Maybe you could gently tell her that this info is not only false but dangerous? Another mom on here in the allergy forum had an experience where her daughter who is over two had an anaphalactic reaction to an accidental allergy ingestion by mom via breastmilk.