Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 month old doesn't like solids

Default 10 month old doesn't like solids

I have a 10 month old daughter that does not like solids. We started her on the rice cereal at 6 months. The first week she ate a teaspoon or 2 and then she decided she didn't like it anymore. We offered her the oatmeal cereal and she did the same. We moved to fruits and veggies. She might take 1 bite of some sort of baby food during meal time. We've tried fresh fruits and veggies, meats, breads and table food. The only thing she'll eat is Oaties...and she's getting sick of those. I'm a working mother and I'm tired of pumping 3-4 times a day. I was planning on not pumping once she turned a year and just allowing her to nurse when I'm around. I'm nervous because she's not eating solids yet. Oh and btw...she has a milk allergy. Thanks for listening to my rant

Default Re: 10 month old doesn't like solids

It is my understanding that "allergy" babies have a tendency to avoid more foods than non allergic infants. My DD is about the same, though she does gobble up food on rare occassions. I know that BM is all the nutrition she really needs, but in your situation IDK what I would do. Sorry I was not a bigger help here.

I'd skip the cereal - it's just junk food anyway.

Fruit & veggies: are you doing jarred/pureed baby food? You should try just little chunks of the fresh fruit.

Outside of that, I'd just say... well, breast is best (of course, you're on the LLL forums, so you should know that...) and I would try to figure out a way to follow her lead.

When I went back to work, rather than pumping, I had my baby brought up to me several times a day to nurse. Have you considered anything like that?

We've tried both jarred and cut-up fresh fruits and veggies. I would love to have DD brought to me but I live about 1/2 hour from work so by the time DH brought DD to me and I nursed her and they went back home he would have to turn around and bring her back whithin an hour. She has 4 oz bottles every 2 1/2 hours while I'm gone. I guess a lot can happen in the next couple of months. I love nursing...I just hate the pumping part

Do you co-sleep? Have you tried getting her to reverse-cycle? My LO nurses a lot at night so I never have to worry about how much she eats or doesn't eat. She balances it all out with the night nursing.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I tried co-sleeping but it didn't work for us. We have a queen bed so there isn't a ton of room for movement. She was waking every 2 hours to eat when we did co-sleep so I was getting approx. 3-4 hours of sleep at night, and wasn't functioning at work. I wake up at 4:30 am to pump and get to work by 6 am. I work from 6am to 2:30, so I'm home by 3.

How about nap-nursing when you get home from work?

She gets to nurse as much as she wants when I get home and on the weekends. She loves to nurse and I miss her so much that it's a great reunion after not seeing her all day.
    Last edited by Andrea's Mom; December 10th, 2007 at 08:20 PM.

Awww, I feel the same way. Keep up the great work!