Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So Confused...A Little Help Please Mamas

Smile So Confused...A Little Help Please Mamas

I have been EBF my LO...She's now just 6 1/2 months. This whole solid thing confuses the heck out of me! I know it sounds silly, but I guess I just need a little guidance from some of you alumni... I really haven't started any strict schedule... She mainly has been having solids once a day...at night when my hubbie and I eat...but sometimes not at all. I have offered rice cereal...but she doesn't really like it... She loves bananas, applesauce, and sweet potatoes. I also give her apple juice and water from a sippy cup with meals. She eats about 3-4 tablespoons of food then I BF as long as she'll eat. I have been doing this for a few weeks now, but not EVERY night.

I know I need to get into a better routine, but I need some advice and some menu ideas... How would you add another meal, and what do you offer? Should I offer 2 foods in one meal at this time or not? How and when do you offer new foods (ie: meats, crackers, etc.) How often should she be eating solids???

I am just overwhelmed...LO has been EBF and has never had a bottle. I have become so used to the convenience of BF...This seems a little tricky! I am also concerned about my BM supply, although it doesn't seem to be an issue right now.

Sorry for the long post, but this first timer needs your help!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default Re: So Confused...A Little Help Please Mamas

It's a little hectic at the beginning - I think I am not wrong in saying that it takes all of us a little time to get used to solids, esp. after ebf'ing. It sounds like you are doing things in a good way though.
    When I started solids, I did one meal a day. I offered a new food every 5 days or so to moniter for allergic reactions. Once she had a food without any problems, I would add a new one. SO she typically eats 2 different foods per meal - sweet potatos and green beans, or cereal and applesauce.
    I think it's important not to stress about it. Someone here once told me that in the first year, solids are mostly for experimentation. If they take a few bites - okay. Your LO is still getting all the nutrition from your breastmilk that she needs!
    At 10 months, the solids haven't really affected my supply or nursing. She still nurses and I am still producing enough. Dont sweat it - go with it, follow her lead and do what you can!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

I feel the same way! I actually get sad though when my LO is eating and enjoying his food. It's a little hard for me.

What we are doing now is just bananas and rice cereal. He loves both. Tried applesauce, hated it, so we will try again in a few weeks. Next food is gonna be pears...

We are feeding in the evening between BF sessions. Usually the next time he BF's is as I am nursing him to bed, which is about 1 to 1/5 hours after he had his meal.

It's kindof scary this food stuff. I never knew I'd feel apprehensive about it. I guess I got used to how easy BF is.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKat View Post
    It's kindof scary this food stuff. I never knew I'd feel apprehensive about it. I guess I got used to how easy BF is.
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one!!!

Yes, it's very confusing! I found this website very helpful and reassuring: http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

As far as what order to introduce foods in, try to keep the first ones as rich in fats as possible: avocadoes, meats, egg yolks. You don't want to replace high-calorie high-fat breastmilk with something less nutritious. And wait on the grains until at least one year. HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.