Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain

Unhappy Nipple pain

Yesterday I noticed that my nipple was peeling. Then today when I was pumping at work, both nipples started to bleed, a lot!! I don't know what is going on, or how to stop it. My daughter is 18 months old, so it's not bad latch. I can't send this milk to the pre-school, I just don't feel right sending PINK MILK over there. Anyone have any ideas on what might be going on? I think one of them was from a bite last night. How can I manage to pump without getting blood into the milk? The nipple that has the MAJOR bleeding is bleeding from the top of the nipple.

Default Re: Nipple pain

Oh, dear! That sounds terribly painful.

I was just reading on another list about a similar situation -- a mother of an older baby or toddler suddenly developed nipple soreness and large cracks for no apparent reason. It turned out to be the mother's skin reacting to a solid food that her child was eating. In that case, it was bananas -- which, I learned, contain latex, and the mother knew she had a latex allergy, actually.

Has your daughter recently started eating a new food, or a lot more than usual of a particular food?

--Rebecca

That is interesting. I'll have to look into that! And I did not know that Bananas contained latex, I have a sevre allergy to latex, but she has not had them lately

Hbsmomma,
    How are you feeling today? How was your milk? The blood in the milk does not pose any type of health problem for your daughter. (See Common Concerns When Storing Human Milk)
    Here's a couple of links about sore nipples and moist wound healing. Maybe they will help? I hope you get some relief soon.
    How do I heal sore nipples?
    SORE NIPPLES

Warmly,
    Mary