Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exclusively Pumping... supply going down... help!

Default Exclusively Pumping... supply going down... help!

I ahve been EP since Jan when my daughter was 8 months... she refused to nurse what so ever.... I was pumping 4 times per day and gettting about 6 ouces each session... now I am pumping 3 times per day and get jsut 4 ozs per session so I am having to add whole milk to it becuase it is just not enough for her... any idea how to get more supply or is this natural?

I pump until I am empty _ I do breast compressions and usually pump abotu 5 munites after I am empty and nothing more is coming out... any tips?

Default Re: Exclusively Pumping... supply going down... help!

could you add that other pumping sessIon back?
    supply and demand
    the more you pump the more milk you are going to make.
    good luck!

the past coupls of days I ahve added it back... and that added session I only got 1.5 ounces total and then the 4th pumping I got less then normal.. so it equalled out to getting the same amount despite the added session....

it might take a few days to notice a change.

I empathize and am going through something kind of similar, though DS still does nurse some as well (14.5 months). See the "is drying up inevitable" thread.
    I know you said you do compressions while you are pumping; have you also tried to manually hand express after you are done with the pump? I've found that getting in there and using my hands to squeeze out whatever I can after I pump actually gives me as much as 0.5 more - sometimes 0.75 oz. Doesn't sound like alot, but every bit helps.... Adding that 3rd pumping session back never did really help for me, but to be fair, I didn't give it more than a few days worth of trying.
    How is DD doing with the whole milk? My DS has gradually ramped up with that and seems to do fine - though on the weekends when I'm home, he's more than happy to skip all that and just have me.... good luck! hang in there!
    Jsmom

I mix the whole milk in about 50/50 of each.... she did not like it at first so I backed to 25% wm and 75%bm we are back at 50/50 now and she does not seem to mind. I feel like she is still getting the benefit of mothers milk this way also also getting the high calories of WM as well. I have noticed that my milk is not creamy like it used to be so i am glad that the WM will give her more calories.

I have a similar problem lately with pumping. I, too, am pumping full time and am losing my supply quickly. I now only get about half of what I used to get in a pumping session. I'm curious to know when you started mixing the EBM with the cow's milk. My DS is just over 8 mos and I've been wondering about using some cow's milk but have heard so many people say I shouldn't give it to him until he a year. He has NO alergies; can I start using it now (mixed, of course.)?