Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cereal

Default Cereal

My 3.5 month old son just started cereal about 1.5 weeks ago. I mix it w/ my breastmilk in his bottle. It was per the drs. orders due to his bad reflux. So far, his reflux has virtually disappeared! That being said, he's gotten to where he only eats 2 oz per meal now! Before the cereal, he would eat, on average, 4 oz per meal (sometimes more, sometimes less). But it's been pretty consistant for 2 straight days. There's more in his bottle, but he refuses to eat it. Also, he hasn't pooped in 24 hours and doesn't pee near as much as he used to. I'm kind of thinking that his lack of eating is due to his constipation, but obviously he's not getting enough if he's not peeing as often as he used to. What do you guys think? Were your babies like this when they started solids? Like I said before, he's still bottle fed, but the rice cereal is mixed in w/ my breastmilk. Thanks!

Default Re: Cereal

I would definitely bring your concern up with the doctor. Don't wait for an appointment, just call and ask about it. I am surprised that the doc reccomended putting cereal in the bottle, since I have heard form various sources that doing so is a choking hazard. If your lo isn't having many wet diapers it may result in dehydration, which can happen really quickly with an infant.

So, I guess I don't have much advice other than call your doctor. And then, maybe call a different doctor and see if you get an alternative that you and your baby are more comfortable with.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

if you dont mind me asking... why so soon with cereal??
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jasmina32 View Post
    if you dont mind me asking... why so soon with cereal??
    She said it was per her docs suggestion - but I, like the previous poster find that concerning...

Here's more info for anyone interested.
    "The effect of thickened feedings may be more cosmetic (decreased regurgitation and increased postprandial sleeping) than beneficial." Thickened feeds have been associated with increased coughing after feedings, and may also decrease gastric emptying time and increase reflux episodes and aspiration. Note that rice cereal will not effectively thicken breastmilk due to the amylase (an enzyme that digests carbohydrates) naturally present in the breastmilk.

And another quote from this page (reflux part toward the end).

A little more about feeding baby cereal from a bottle...
    Doctors and other experts recommend that you never give baby cereal in a bottle unless recommended by baby's doctor for a specific medical condition. Here are some of their reasons:

It is a choking hazard.
    The cereal takes away from the amount of milk in the bottle (adds carbohydrates and dilutes the nutrient density), and baby may not get adequate milk volume for proper growth and development.
    Baby is being given a higher concentration of calories without being able to regulate her own intake. This can lead to weight problems in the future.
    If baby’s doctor suggests thickened feedings for reflux, consider asking about alternatives, as many doctors question this practice and it has the potential to cause more harm than good.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I think she probably meant she used the bottle just to mix up the cereal and the BM??? I cannot even imaging how the cereal can pass trough the nipple!!!

Married to the love of my life Eric! 10-11-03
    Mommy to Erica! 03-05-07
    9 lbs 8 oz and 22 inches!!!
    for 2 years!!!
    Mommy to Andres! 05-12-10
    9 lbs 10 oz and 21 1/4 inches!!!
    and hopefully for another 2 years

I quoted this from kellymom.com Hope it is helpful!

What about thickened feeds?
    Baby cereal, added to thicken breastmilk or formula, has been used as a treatment for GER for many years, but its use is controversial.

Does it work? Thickened feeds can reduce spitting up, but studies have not shown a decrease in reflux index scores (i.e., the “silent reflux” is still present). Per Donna Secker, MS, RD in Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease , "The effect of thickened feedings may be more cosmetic (decreased regurgitation and increased postprandial sleeping) than beneficial." Thickened feeds have been associated with increased coughing after feedings, and may also decrease gastric emptying time and increase reflux episodes and aspiration. Note that rice cereal will not effectively thicken breastmilk due to the amylase (an enzyme that digests carbohydrates) naturally present in the breastmilk.

Is it healthy for baby? If you do thicken feeds, monitor baby’s intake since baby may take in less milk overall and thus decrease overall nutrient intake. There are a number of reasons to avoid introducing cereal and other solids early. There is evidence that the introduction of rice or gluten-containing cereals before 3 months of age increases baby's risk for type I diabetes. In addition, babies with GERD are more likely to need all their defenses against allergies, respiratory infections and ear infections – but studies show that early introduction of solids increases baby’s risk for all of these conditions.

The breastfeeding relationship: Early introduction of solids is associated with early weaning. Babies with reflux are already at greater risk for fussy nursing behavior, nursing strikes or premature weaning if baby associates reflux discomfort with breastfeeding.

Safety issues: Never add cereal to a bottle without medical supervision if your baby has a weak suck or uncoordinated sucking skills.

As the pps said cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard. It does not cure reflux but simply masks the symtoms. Your baby isn't eating possibly because the reflux is still bothersome.

I would find a new pedi, no offense but that's pretty scary what you were instructed to do.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Shew, lots happened in the past few hours!

OK, we have tried NUMEROUS other things for his reflux. Different meds, formula (just in case), I have a strict diet of no cow's milk, soy, peanuts, or eggs since he's allergic to milk and soy, she wanted me to stay away from other common allergies, since this could be the cause of reflux. Currently he is on Zantac, and that wasn't even working well. The cereal in his bottle was a last resort. Since we began the cereal, his attitude has COMPLETELY done a 180. He is happy and likes to eat now. Before this, feeding him was a chore. He'd choke, gag, arch his back, fight to eat and fight to not eat. He was miserable and fussy. He doesn't vomit, so all of his reflux has been "silent". So, the cereal is what works for us, and it works wonders. Like some of the posts say, it's controversial. And I knew this when she recommeded it (I'd done A TON of research on reflux). I voiced my concerns when it was recommended, and she said that it works for some and doesn't for others. We'll just have to see what works for him. Currently, the cereal works. So that's what we're doing. I would rather him eat NOW and be at risk for type 1 diabetes later, then deal with the alternative which is associating eating with pain. Like I said, it was the last resort, and I was fully aware of the risks and research on the cereal. Also, the dr. told me to only give half the recommended amount of cereal, so he's not getting the full amount of cereal.

With the bottle feeding, if you get a bigger nipple size, then the cereal goes through it just fine. I use Dr. Brown's bottles, and for us, the size 3 is what works. It took a few times of trial and error, but we finally got it taken care of!

All of that being said, Clay finally pooped today. He pretty much only ate 2 oz. all day at the sitters. But he pooped at 6pm, and ate 7 oz at his 7pm feeding. Obviously making up for lost ounces!! So he feels fine. I think he needed to clean out his system before he filled it back up again. HA!

Thanks for all of your advice and research!

Yikes! Cereal is very constipating and is NOT nutritious. I am afraid of the damage it could do to the tummy of a poor little baby with reflux. I would stop the cereal and find a new ped ASAP!!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.