Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice on starting to relactate??

Default Advice on starting to relactate??

Hey I stopped bf when my son was 2wks old, and have been overcome with guilt ever since only realised last week that it was possible to relactate and am now considering it.
    I'm a single mother and around here few women bf my son used to cluster feed constantly in the evening and everyone kept on at me to give him a bottle in the end i caved in, poor excuse really but at the time it felt like the only option as i was recieving no support other than my midwife who only visited during the day.
    My Son is five months old and even if i could supply him with one bottle of breast milk i'd be happy.
    I have a manual pump and have been pumping this mast two days don't know if its my imagination but i think my nipples are changing..
    what would be the best way to get my milk going??? Can i successfully relactate with out hosp grade pumps or drugs?

Default Re: Advice on starting to relactate??

Quote Originally Posted by sazmia View Post
    what would be the best way to get my milk going??? Can i successfully relactate with out hosp grade pumps or drugs?
    Have you tried fenugreek it's not a drug--you can get it from any health or vitamin store and it will increase your milk supply. I take about 3-4 capsules 3-4 times a day.
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Thanks i just ordered som still pumping and getting nothing going to rent a hosp grade pump and pray that it works.

Hello and ,

Have you checked out the sticky at the top of this forum? It has a lot of great articles to get you started.

There are currently several relactating mommies participating on the boards right now. You might want to read through some of the active threads. I'm sure some of them will share their experiences with you.

Best Wishes,

Tiana

I think renting the pump is a great idea. It will help get you started. It takes time. We will celebrate drops with you as well as your first ounce. We know these are great acheivements, even if others who are not relactating don't "get it."

BTW, I have found Goat's Rue to be a great supplement along with fenugreek for rebuilding breast tissue. I use the Motherlove Brand, but there might be others. You might explore this if you feel comfortable.

I started from nothing and am now only supplementing about 6oz of formula a day. We haven't started solids, yet. He isn't ready.

Be sure to keep us posted! We are here through the long haul.

First of all for trying!
    I recently started trying to relactate. My DS is 3.5 months old and I also stopped bfing around 1-2 weeks. Right now I am getting 1 oz from both at a time. It is gradually increasing and I haven't had to get any prescrips from the doc. I eat oatmeal every morning and drink Mother's Milk Tea 3 times a day. I pump every 3 hours during the day then at least 1 time overnight. HTH and good luck on your re-lac journey!!!! It can be done but is a lot of work and takes time so keep it up and you will get there!!

How are you doing?

That's wonderful! How are things going now?

As for using a pump (manual or not) you could try combining hand expression with your pumping efforts to get higher yields:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

HTH!