Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I don't understand...

Question I don't understand...

After reading responses to my post (fists of fury), I did go to the provided link to read about overactive letdown. What I don't understand is how only offering one side per feeding will help. If it works, I'm all for trying. I may just be thick, but I don't get it.

Default Re: I don't understand...

how old is baby?
    Is this the link you saw?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

block feeding will help to adust oversupply of milk down to a supply that is more comforatable for baby.

Quote Originally Posted by haven View Post
    After reading responses to my post (fists of fury), I did go to the provided link to read about overactive letdown. What I don't understand is how only offering one side per feeding will help. If it works, I'm all for trying. I may just be thick, but I don't get it.
    Are we talking overactive letdown (MER) or oversupply? Oversupply can be handled with block feeding - while overactive letdown can be handiled with other tecniques...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by haven View Post
    If it's an oversupply issue, feeding on only one side means that the other side stays full longer. Staying full prompts your breast to make less milk. That helps with having too much milk.

Feeding on only one side also helps to ensure that your lo gets the proper amount of hindmilk (the thicker, more filling milk that comes at the end of a nursing session). This is a common problem with oversupply, since the baby fills up on the foremilk (thinner, more watery milk) and stops drinking before the hindmilk makes it's appearance.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I haven't read fists of fury yet, but I can say that block feeding helps to reduce your overall milk production over time. You see, when milk is left in the breast, a protein in the milk called feedback inhibitor of lactation (FIL) builds up. This sends a signal to the milk producing cells to slow down production. It's not an immediate process, but when milk is left in the breast over time, the production level steadily moves down.

Additionally, when there is an oversupply, block feeding also helps to assure that baby gets enough hindmilk.

Here is some great information about how milk production works:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html
    And here is some information about oversupply:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

HTH!

after dealing with overactive letdown for months, I found it helped that DD started eating from one breast per feeding and she's doing great! Now, at 4 months, she's eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. But at night, when it's bedtime, she eats from both 'cause she's going longer without food. I don't know how it works, but it does!

While reducing your milk supply may help with the amount of milk behind your letdown, it will not get rid of the intensity of the letdown. During a letdown the milk is squeezed to the front of the breast by expanding milk ducts. I actually think at 20 days pp you should leave your milk supply alone if it is not the problem.

Lets focus on ways to manage your let down reflex. Try and keep an eye on a clock when you begin nursing to estimate when your first letdown happens. Maybe is 2 minutes of nursing, may be it is 5. You will know it is a letdown, by tingling, pinching or other constricting sensations in the breast. You may also still be having uterine contractions from your letdown at around 20 days pp. You can also listen for the telltale chug-a-lug noises your baby makes.

As another poster wrote on your fists of fury thread, removing baby during a letdown and having the milk spray or leak into a cloth diaper is good way to ease some of the pressure to swallow off your baby. Because you have abraded nipples, make certain to break the seal before you remove baby. Never just pull off.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; December 6th, 2007 at 02:46 AM.