Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Uh Oh I think I have inverted nipples?!

Default Uh Oh I think I have inverted nipples?!

Hi ladies, well as I am reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding I come across the section on Inverted nipples. So I decided to try and see if I have them. (I'm bored LOL) So I did what they showed and pinched my aerola and my nipple sort of retracts/not quite but it doesn't become erect! So now I am freaking out! My nipples do become erect when cold or stimulated though! What can I do about this? Should I buy some breast shells and start wearing them now? I am 6 months preggo. Do breast shells actually help make inverted nipples come out and fix?
    Last edited by Mayas+LilPumpkinsMommy; June 14th, 2006 at 12:04 PM.

Default Re: Uh Oh I think I have inverted nipples?!

Hi There! This is one of those instances that meeting up with a lactation consultant would help give you some peace of mind; this is exactly the type of pre-birth question that they can sort through with you. From what I've heard, yes; there is alot you can do to help un-in-vert (!) before baby is born. Don't freak out; this should be very solveable. And...for what it's worth, I had one inverted nipple (left) and one not (right). Of course the left breast is the one that had much more milk for the first few weeks, so even though latching onto right was a bit easier, the left was the payoff. I hadn't done anything in advance to help fix this and it did sort itself out just fine in a matter of a few days, just fyi.

There were a few humorous moments, though, when in the midst of new-mom 'I HAVE TO FEED THIS BABY, HELP!!' angst, I actually told DH to go brush his teeth, gargle with diluted peroxide (adults have different and more bacteria in their mouths than babies) and then come give left breast a big old SUCK to get the nipple pointing outward so J could jump on. Yes; really. He was happy to help, of course. Shocked at first, but more than willing!

You are doing wonderfully to be doing all this reading and prep - just keep it positive and don't get yourself into a freaked-out fear state! You're doing great! Happy thoughts!
    Jsmom

Linda thanks! You had me LOL about dh! I am actually thinking "Hmmm well Erick may have to have some boob time everyday now!!" LOL I am definitly going to meet w/ a LC to be evaluated. Oh and when I did the pinch test liquid came out. Is it weird I was happy to see that?

the breastfeeding Answer book says...
    If the baby is possitioned and latched on well, most types of flat or inverted nipples will not cause breastfeeding problems.

you should have some good help linned up when the baby comes
    that way if you have problems you'll have somebody to call right away.
    stay away from artifical nipples, that way your baby will just learn how to nurse on you!
    you can do it!

Thanks Andrea! Yeah I really do not want to use any type of artifical nipple. Also when I met w/ a LC for Maya (1st dd) she did get her to latch (I did end up pumping w/ my 1st) and never said that I had flat/inverted nipples so maybe I am worrying for nothing. LOL

my new doctor told me that I had them and that I would never be able to nurse a baby.. I just looked at him and sighed... I nursed my 2 older kids (the 2nd with no bottles). I told him that and he just laughed... so sometimes doctors don't know what they are talking about.
    I would call a leader and talk to her about it.

Hmm... maybe try this, saw it cross-posted on another forum

http://www.avent.com/uk/en/breastfeeding_niplette.php

Just wanted to give you some words of encouragement. I have flatish nipples and did have some trouble getting baby to latch on at first. But now that he knows what to do, having flat nipples is really no problem for us.

Breast shells did help me in the first month of nursing. I wish I would have known about this issue before I gave birth. It would have made things a LOT easier. And I might have been more successful at nursing and latching-on earlier. I actually gave up trying to nurse him the first hour of delivery, because a nurse came by and told me how hard it would be to BF him with my flat nipples. Ugh! Thanks for the support! :P

But regardless... it's been my experience that it usually doesn't really matter once the baby has enough experience and knows what to do. If you are worried, I'd buy the breast shells just in case you decide you want to use them. Also they come in handy for healing sore nipples, as they let air circulate and there is no irritation from clothing.
    Last edited by hairpin; June 26th, 2006 at 10:03 PM.