Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the BFing MUST HAVES?

Default What are the BFing MUST HAVES?

Hi ladies. I am starting to buy some BFing supplies here and there. What are some things I should definitly have on hand? Thanks!

Default Re: What are the BFing MUST HAVES?

Some good lanolin ointment (lansinoh or purelan);
    various sized pillows for support (a boppy or 'my breast friend' can be helpful but aren't absolutely necessary;
    a book or two with some basics info - like 'the nursing mother's companion';
    some washable or disposable nursing pads;
    something you can use as little moist heating pads (moistened, microwaved disposo diapers are perfect) to use if/when engoraged, sore;
    cabbage (really!) to wash and chill a few leaves to wear on you breasts if/when they are sore and need some calming;
    ibuprofen for pain, if you need it (but don't take while pregnant, especially during 3rd trimester)
    patience;
    more patience;
    a sense of humor;
    a loving, calm face to shine on your baby;
    support of family/friends/partner/this community!

those are the basics that come to mind immediately...there are other things that come later!
    best wishes, jsmom

Knowledge, support, determination and patience!

Beside that, nursing pads. lanolin, nursing bras, books to keep you busy reading while you nurse (BF's book are best), a boppy pillow is God send those first few months.

If you're going back to work your must have list will be longer.

Congratulations!!

Gosh, great question. I'm starting to think about this too. I realized the other day, I'm a little more than halfway through this pregnancy! I might not make it all the way to 40 weeks, so I'd better start preparing. . .

I'm planning to get nursing pads. . . a lot of them. I'm thinking of trying the Lana wool ones from cottonbabies.com (unless someone has some other ideas) because I am a super-duper leaker. I spent a fortune on the disposable ones first time around after discovering many of the washable ones sold locally weren't enough to handle it. 100% cloth diapers for nighttime is great.

I have Lansinoh because I use it all the time anyway as lip balm. But I'm thinking of trying Nipple Butter from earthmamaangelbaby.com in conjunction with the Lansinoh. I've heard of moms having good results alternating them the first few weeks and that it doesn't stain like the lanolin will.

I like Mother's Milk tea. I don't need it because I produce plenty of milk, but it's soothing.

I can't imagine BFing without a sling. I used it as a cover-up, blanket, toy, all kinds of stuff, and nursed in it.

A Boppy pillow was really nice the first few weeks while I was getting over pregnancy and birth related carpal tunnel, but you can get along without one. My sister had given me one.

I have got to get a couple new bras. I wonder if my local Nordstrom's has the new LLL one advertised in the latest New Beginnings! I did buy a few nursing shirts and one dress the first time around, just for when I needed to dress nicely. Otherwise, it was anything I could lift easily.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything else I really needed that was specific to breastfeeding. The stores try to get you to buy all kinds of stuff. Can anyone else think of anything??
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

for me the best thing so far has been this website & the support that comes w/it & the book "The womanly art of Bf'ing"--got mine @ babies r us, but it's also sold on this website

a breast pump, depending on what you plan to use it for will determine what type, i am real happy with the evenflo single side pump i have, it's battery or electric and comes w/very few gizmos so it's perfect for a not so tech person like me who only wants to pump about once -twice a day a the most

learn to nurse lying down as soon as possible---you can sleep even if the baby isn't

a nice place to sit & nurse during the day w/ a place to sit water and snacks within easy reach, I know for the 1st 3 weeks I got extremely thirsty & hungry everythime I nursed, I still get thirsty almost everytime

the most important thing is a good attitude---meaning you are forgiving of yourself & your baby when things aren't perfect and for me it meant deciding that I would not give up & I would just take it one day at a time

100% cloth diapers for nighttime is great.
    I used to do that o even used the disposables diaper my baby outgrew.

Boobs!

Actually, the only thing that I absolutely must-have is a boppy pillow. Holding a ten pound baby is hard on the arms, and it only gets worse as they grow!

Talking Re: What are the BFing MUST HAVES?

The first thing that popped into my mind (like pp) was

A good pair of cooperative BOOBS!

Easy to open nursing bras.....practice at the store with one hand!

A good reliable breast pump

The number for a LC nearby

A helpful supportive hubby or friend

A lovely baby to feed

patience!!! Good luck!

Boobs!

Actually, the only thing that I absolutely must-have is a boppy pillow. Holding a ten pound baby is hard on the arms, and it only gets worse as they grow!

On the topic of BF books, I loved "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. Funny! Kept me laughing and upbeat during those first weeks when it seemed every minute I was about to give up. I kept it next to my nursing chair and I read it over and over...I'm still reading it for tips since it covers extended BF too.

I also found having several "easy access" night shirts very helpful. I never liked the look of nursing night gowns but found any oversized night shirt i could flip up with one hand would do. When you are half asleep you don't want to be fumbling with buttons!

A portable CD player/radio to keep you company during those late late night sessions. And a tv with a remote control for those long days. Don't forget the comfy nursing chair, either--for the first 6 weeks I didn't have one! Big regret.

Several water pitchers for your nursing stations. One handed snacks--raisins, crackers, cheese slices, nursing mom energy bars and shakes.