Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think we're about done...

Default Re: I think we're about done...

How can you tell the difference between a strike and weaning? I was thinking it was weaning because really this started at about 11 months and gradually he has gone from 5x a day down to once and now just not at all so it didn't happen overnight or anything.

Default Re: I think we're about done...

This happened to a friend of mine. Her baby is now a year old, but I think it was around 10 mos or so her baby began losing interest in breastfeeding. her dd got down to only like one bf session a day...I guess sometimes not even that. All she fed her was baby food...not any table foods or other supplements. I think its important to make sure your baby is supplementing something...either formula or ebm before their a year old. It didn't really seem to phase my friend though..she figured her dd was just weaning naturally, I'd agree thats what it sounds like. If you are really interested in prolonging your bf relationship.. here are some suggestions you might want to give a try.
    Try giving your baby lots of skin-to-skin contact like nursing without a shirt on or nursing in a warm bath. Or try to nurse while baby is sleeping or drowsy, probably should take precautions when trying to get your asleep baby to nurse (it might just wake her up and put her in a bad mood, but trying it once might now hurt). But most of all I think its important to give your doctor a call regarding your concerns and to rule out any medical conditions your baby may be having. If you just keep being persistent your lo interest in bf should also increase. Best of luck and I hope everything works out for the both of you!