Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think we're about done...

Default I think we're about done...

Right before lo's birthday he started losing interest in bfing. I continued to offer it to him for awhile but he never wanted to. He's gone from five times a day to only once in the morning now. I feel bad because I know it's still beneficial to him and had planned on nursing him until he was two. But I guess he has his own plans and I can't make him nurse if he doesn't want to. I've thought about pumping but for the last few months when I've tried I've only been able to get out 1/2 an ounce so it doesn't seem worth all the trouble. I'm just feeling sad that it's coming to an end and sad that I can't do it for longer, I had at the very least wanted to continue through flu season....

Default Re: I think we're about done...

Do you co sleep?

No we don't. I couldn't do it when he was little and now he just wants to play with window instead of actually sleep in our bed

Have you been giving a lot of other liquids?

If you want to keep things going longer, there might be a few useful tips toward the bottom of this link:

Do babies under 12 months self-wean?
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

I am thinking there's something else going on with him (besides weaning), ie Teething, developmental milestones, etc? I don't have links handy but I know their need to suck will ebb and flow. Supposedly it lessens around 12 months and then picks up again. I heard the need backs off again at 18 months but then I heard that it picks up at 18 months, so who knows? We're at 17 months right now and going strong. Hang in there. I have a feeling he will come back around. I know I would feel very sad in your shoes too.

Ideas: Does he still use bottles or suck on sippy cups? Pacifiers? You might want to limit time with them if possible. Also offer the breast before meals, when he's hungrier. Then maybe he won't fill up on the other stuff. I would also encourage co-sleeping too. Maybe you could try at nap time? Good luck!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Um...

CJ is SO CUTE!!!!!!!

No advice about your situation. But once a day is really OK.. I nursed once a day for a LONG time. Then once a week for a couple months. (I was weaning on purpose.) HE's getting more than a half ounce. You've done great.

And oh my gosh he's so cute.

Quote Originally Posted by awnja View Post
    Um...

CJ is SO CUTE!!!!!!!

No advice about your situation. But once a day is really OK.. I nursed once a day for a LONG time. Then once a week for a couple months. (I was weaning on purpose.) HE's getting more than a half ounce. You've done great.

And oh my gosh he's so cute.
    thank you!!

Well I've been offering it to him still but for the past two days he hasn't wanted to at all. I don't know, it's bittersweet really. He's getting older and he isn't my baby anymore. Yesterday was the first time in his life he didn't nurse.... I just don't know how I should feel. Relieved it's over? Proud of myself for sticking it out? Happy I don't have to nurse anymore? Should I try to pump just so he still gets some? I don't know.....

Would you be willing to pump through the winter and try putting it in a sippy cup? Also then if it is just a strike or something your milk supply would still be up.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudHooahWife View Post
    Would you be willing to pump through the winter and try putting it in a sippy cup? Also then if it is just a strike or something your milk supply would still be up.
    I think it's a strike.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.