Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cereal to reduce spitting up?

Question cereal to reduce spitting up?

My 10wk old DS was diagnosed with reflux and put on Zantac when he was 6 wks old. For a couple of weeks he was a brand new happy baby. This past week, though, his symptoms have started to return: spitting up a lot, not sleeping, very fussy, kicking while nursing... I called the ped. and he increased his Zantac dose but also recc. giving a tsp of cereal after each time he nurses to help with the spitting up. Has anyone ever heard of this? I am reluctant to try this. I did not plan on introducing solids until DS was at least 6 mos.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Default Re: cereal to reduce spitting up?

Yep, we did that for my first son and it worked great. In fact that is when he began sleeping through the night. It's ok if pedi says it's fine. It is for a medical reason. It just isnt reccomended for those just trying to catch a few more z's!

OK, I plan on increasing the Zantac dose first and if he is still having problems may consider the cereal.....

He is EBF, only the occassional bottle of EBM. How do I give him the cereal? Would he even know what to do with a spoon feeding at his age or would I use a syringe?

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

we just put it in a bottle of ebm but you may have to use like an infant feeder or syringe.