Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn marathon feeder with an exhausted mom!

Unhappy Newborn marathon feeder with an exhausted mom!

Boy, this breast feeding business is hard work!
    Baby girl is just one week old. I have an LC appointment later in week but need answers, advice and help now.
    Last night baby was on boob for 5 hours (5pm to 10pm) almost non stop. I am sure that half the time she wasn't even eating, but every time she fell off she wanted back on within minutes. Is this cluster feeding? Is it normal? Does it go away? After we got her down for one hour sleep she woke ever hour and fed for another 30 minutes or so each time.

Also, left breast got engorged and painful and she refused to take it (not that I would put it in her mouth right now anyway!) I have read losts of advice and am dealing well with curing engorgement and getting that boob back on track. Is it too early to start pumping at one week? I thought maybe I could pump the left breast if I just can't get her used to it, then feed on the right. Is that OK?

Also, if milk leaks under my breast is that because she is not latched on right? It's happened a couple of times. Is it OK for some milk to leak or is that bad latch?

And I don't always hear her gulping down. I see sucking and I feel her gums on my nipple most of the time. She is putting on weight so I am not really stressing that she's not getting enough, but I wonder if I could get her to eat fully for the 30 minutes instead of being asleep and "lazy eating" half the time, that she might not need the breast every hour.

So many questions and concerns.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Newborn marathon feeder with an exhausted mom!

call you local lll leader, she can help with all your questions!
    Plus you'll have somebody besides the lc to call.
    Are you counting diapars? Thats a good way to make shure they are getting the milk they need.
    5-6 realy wets and more than 3 poops the size of a quarter.
    They should gain 6 oz a week for the 1st 3 months

you can pump to relive some of the engorgement, but the baby is the best at draining the breast. Don't pump alot just so that the baby can get hold to get a good latch.
    it sounds like what she was doing is cluster feeding.. it does make it hard, just try and rest when the baby rests! And take a nap during the day.
    That does wonders for lack of sleep.

One solution to leaking while the babe is eating is putting a burp cloth down to catch the excess. I have BF two kids and both of them were like that. Not sure if it's because I have a lot of milk and they can't seem to catch up to my supply.

As far as the one side being engorge, you should probably express some milk before offering it to her to see if she latches on better. Sometimes, when the breast is full, it's hard to get a good latch on. You want to make sure that she gets used to nursing on both sides so that you won't feel so lopsided.

Bless you little heart! You are right this can be hard but if you stay the course things will look so much better next week this time. OK, here we go
    I second the recommendation to call your LLL leader
    I would also pump some milk off of that breast ether with your pump or by manual expression, a hot shower also can help.
    I never had a leaking issue when ds was on the breast but I think that the burp cloth under your breast is a good idea. This could be a bad latch but also could be just that you have so much milk right now and she is just letting what she can not swallow run out of her mouth.
    When she latches on she should begin to suck and then she should begin to rhythmically suck, you should see her ears moving and hear her swallowing. This is you let down, you may also feel your breast get full during this time, or maybe not this early, as I did not feel mine for a while. Then her suck will slow again and she will most likely nod off to sleep. Then you have a choice, you can ether let her sleep, or change her diaper and try to stimulate her to take the other side. As she grows she will become more efficient nursing and will be able to stretch out over long periods of time. Also, are you still swaddling her, if she is swaddled tightly and placed on her side or back however she feels comfortable I bet that she will sleep longer. Over all it sounds like you all are on the right track!

Just wanted to thank you ladies for your advice. I solved the engorgement problem by expressing a little milk with a hand pump after a long warm shower! She latched on again the next day without much of a problem.

Just dealing with the sore nipples now! But determined not to give up.
    Thanks for your help.

Glad to help!