Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need help

Default I need help

I am getting lazy...my son was born 9/26 he was a preemie but a big boy at 8.8 i didnt give him any formula in the hospital, but when we got home my boobs were soooo sore that I gave him formula that night...fast forward. I have a 2 yo son and I watch my sisters daughter who is now 3 months old during the day. I have taken to mostly formula feeding during the day because when ds would eat it would take him 45 mins or so on each side to be satisfied, anyone with 2 other little kids knows that is impossible....he likes to comfort suck during the day and he nurses a little here and there but mainly he is formula all day and breast all night. I still have alot of milk my boobs stay full and I can squirt a stream a long distance anytime I choose...my problem is i would really realle like to get him back on the breast full time...i feel like a cop out, it is just so hard to juggle three kids while BF'ng all day. I have no access to a pump, the place that rents them is out and even if they had some we just cant afford it (well we could if DH didnt waste all our $ but that is a diferent story) I try to hand express but I just get so sore really quick.

There is no LLL here the closest is about an hr away and I have no way to go to the meetings, i have no health ins so talking to the LC at the hospital is out...

TIA
    Brittany

Default Re: I need help

Babies become more efficient nursing as they get older. Perhaps if you tried nursing during the day again you will find that your lo does not take 45 minutes any more. If you call the hospital where you delivered the LC should be willing to talk with you on the phone for free, at least that is how it is at a lot of places. You could also ask if there are any bf support groups in your area. Lots of moms do babywearing so that they are able to nurse while wearing baby so they can also interact with the older kids. Good luck.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Do you think that nursing in a sling or pouch might help? You could care for the other children and nurse at the same time! It's an awesome way to nurse "on the go"!

Could you create a space that is TOTALLY kid safe? That way, you could get on the floor with the kiddos and play with them while nursing. Then you wouldn't have to worry about anyone getting hurt if you couldn't jump up in a split second.

Maybe try increasing by one nursing session every few days to work out a routine that works for your current situation?

Was any of this helpful? Keep us updated!

The money you save on formula will quickly pay off a pump

I agree with the pp, I think your best bet is to add on nursing sessions slowly.

If I get downtime during the day I do BF him, like we have started a 10am nap schedule for all 3 kiddos so I put down the other 2 first then nurse DS and most of the time that is fine, I am finding however that during the daytime when I nurse him 10-15 mins later he is doing his hungry cry again, during the last few days I have nursed him at least 1x during the day usually lasting 10-15 mins before he falls off looking full but like a said 10 or so minutes later he acts hungry again...

I have 2 hotslings, a moby and a bjorn...I am having a awful time with all 3...my breasts are rather large my motherhood bra is an F cup and I tried to nurse in the bjorn and did *OK* his head was mashed into the strap and my boob was kinda folded over lol...I cannot even begin to figure out the moby I cant get it tight enough I have talked to half a dozen people and visited a ton of sites but I get him in it and over time he starts creeping down my tummy until he is practically at my knees...and I cant even figure out how to get him in the hotslings...i am such a loser lol! It cant be THAT hard!

I would love to buy a pump, but no, I dont spend $$ on formula, I CVS lol and get it all for pennies or just use what my sister sends for my niece...

thanks all