Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm really upset...What should I do?

Default Re: I'm really upset...What should I do?

lol, you are right. I didn't think about it that way. When the time comes I'll see how I feel about doing something for cosmetic reasons. If it will put him in discomfort, or a possibly dangerous (anesthesia) situation, I would pass. Especially since his other 3 year old buddies probably would be too young yet to pick on him or tease...I think!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

I just wanted to mention that my dentist said that the sugars in breastmilk are NOT the sugars that cause tooth decay!
    I also think you're doing great, brushing a lot is probably the best thing to do.

I also completely understand you feeling sad. My lo has celiac disease ( gluten intolerance), now of all the diseases she could have, this is not bad at all, no meds, just avoid gluten. Still, made me sad. Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by tamarama View Post
    I just wanted to mention that my dentist said that the sugars in breastmilk are NOT the sugars that cause tooth decay!

tooth decay is mostly caused by fructose (fruit sugar) not lactose (BM's sugar)
    and BM is not 80% sugar by the way, it is 80% water

Is it an option to get that seal coating applied that they sometimes use to prevent caries? I'm guessing the dentist would have mentioned it if it was, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by llmommy View Post
    Is it an option to get that seal coating applied that they sometimes use to prevent caries? I'm guessing the dentist would have mentioned it if it was, but just thought I'd throw that out there.
    Hmm, there was no mention of this. He gave me some fluoride paste to apply everyday to provide extra protection...
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

My hygentist was suprisingly ignorant about what causes front tooth decay. It showed me how many people are in any field on this subject. When a child suckles, they use their tongue and by-pass the front teeth...I read that in a ll book somewhere...also, it is not refined sugar coming out of you..it is nutritious...so very different than normal "bottle mouth" issues.

I get sooooooo mad when I hear a dentist who doesn't know what they are talking about when it comes to something like this that is so important to you and your child's well being and nutrition!

My son gets yellow teeth and the sonic care really helps get rid of it. He also got a black tooth when he took an iron suppliment around that age. It went away after a few months of stopping the suppliment.

I wouldn't wean either.

Good luck!

Sounds like you've gotten all the advice you need! But, I still had to give my two cents My DD is almost 2.5 and at her 2 yr visit, I asked my pedi if I should bring her to the dentist yet. She said, "You can, but they'll tell you to wean."

I think it's just something dentists think they need to tell people to do because, like so many other medical profesisonals, they don't understand breastfeeding at all!

Dentists just treat teeth- you're looking at his health holistically, and taking everything into account along with his dental health, it sounds like you've decided that weaning is not in his best interest.

You might consider night weaning, or offering a sippy cup of water after he nurses.

Quote Originally Posted by llmommy View Post
    This was the first thing that came to my mind, too.....I wonder if you could ask about that? It might ease your mind a little to have some "added protection".

And yes, many medical professionals are not well versed in breastfeeding and breastmilk. Our own dentist had an article in the newspaper that night nursing was damaging to the teeth (she lumped night nursing in with night bottle feeding). Whatever.

Nursing and night nursing DO NOT cause tooth decay. Here are some resources on healing tooth decay naturally. I just want to say that logically, this is absurd. Humans have evolved on breastmilk as the perfect nutrition, so it is NOT POSSIBLE that it could CAUSE something so common as tooth decay. What causes tooth decay is poor nutrition, either from eating the wrong foods or having a digestive/absorption problem that prevents the body from accessing the nutrients. Also toxins (heavy metals, environmental contaminants) can block nutrient absorption. Please read up and educate yourself on how ignorant dentists are of what actually causes tooth decay. They would put themselves out of business if they actually tried to prevent it. (Ironic, isn't it?)

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=529174
    http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...7&Origine=2674
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=399989
    http://www.ppnf.org/catalog/ppnf/
    http://www.curetoothdecay.com/
    http://www.westonaprice.org/bookrevi...deception.html

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.