Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm really upset...What should I do?

Unhappy I'm really upset...What should I do?

This morning I took my DS to the pediatric dentist as per recommendation by my pedi. Long story short, his two front teeth never developed the protective enamel layer, so the second layer is exposed. So far it is only the two front teeth that did not develop properly, his four bottom teeth are fine. I have to bring him back in 3 months to see how any new teeth that come in have developed. The dentist told me that since he does not have the protection needed on these teeth to prevent decay and cavities that I should wean him from the breast now. He said that breastmilk is like 80% sugar and it can wind up damaging his teeth if I continue to nurse, especially at night. DS is one and I feel that he is just not ready to wean. We nurse anywhere from 3-5 times per day, plus when he is teething I have been known to night nurse here and there. I have never denied him the breast and have used it for naps and most often these days, comfort. So I am DEVASTATED to think I have to take this away from him and lose this relationship I have grown to love and cherish. I am tearing up now as I type this. I dont want it to end, but I don't want him to harm his teeth anymore than I already have. Does anyone have any advice for me whatsoever? Maybe if I just partial wean and make sure to clean his teeth after nursing? I just don't know what to do. I haven't researched weaning at all because I haven't even thought about it at this stage. TIA
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Default Re: I'm really upset...What should I do?

Applesauce is mostly sugar too. What kind of diet did the dentist recommend? If it were me I wouldn't wean. Couldn't wean. But perhaps be strict about tooth brushing and very hesitant to night nurse. Just do what you can.Don't cry.

Maybe you could tell the dentist that you and your lo aren't ready to wean and would like some help coming up with a strategy that doesn't involve weaning. If the dentist isn't willing to work with you, you could ask around and find someone who is. I know teeth are important, but it's also important to continue to protect his developing immune system and your breastfeeding relationship. Have you looked at the articles in the sticky and the top of this message board? There might be some other ideas there.

I agree with the PP's- there should be other strategies on the table for you and your baby if neither one of you is ready to wean. I second the idea of limiting/eliminating night nursing (Maybe by offering a bottle of water at night?) and being really proactive about tooth-brushing. Your dentist might also be able to recommend a flouride treatment to strengthen your son's teeth, and help keep them from decaying.

It seems like "just wean him" is too simplistic a solution. Fruit, cookies, birthday cake- are these also off the table until your son's permanent teeth come in? Somehow I suspect they aren't being offered up as the big tooth-decay culprits!

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    I agree with the PP's- there should be other strategies on the table for you and your baby if neither one of you is ready to wean. I second the idea of limiting/eliminating night nursing (Maybe by offering a bottle of water at night?) and being really proactive about tooth-brushing. Your dentist might also be able to recommend a flouride treatment to strengthen your son's teeth, and help keep them from decaying.

It seems like "just wean him" is too simplistic a solution. Fruit, cookies, birthday cake- are these also off the table until your son's permanent teeth come in? Somehow I suspect they aren't being offered up as the big tooth-decay culprits!
    Thank you all for the support I have looked at the sticky's and previous links dealing with this and have calmed down. I realize that anything my son eats/drinks can be a potential problem, not only breastmilk, so I have already decided not to wean him, but to be VERY diligent about tooth brushing, especially after the last nursing session before bed. He hasn't really been nursing to sleep that much anyway. He much prefers his thumb for that these days. So I just know that I will have to change our routines a bit and everything should be fine. He gave me some Prevident (fluoride treatment) to apply everyday to strengthen the teeth as well. He did not tell me to put a special diet in place, nor did he ask me what he eats, drinks, bottles, nurses....I simply offered the information about still nursing and that's when he said I should wean. So if it was really an issue I assume he would have asked about it rather than me bringing it up.

80% sugar? really? like kool aide - wow! ()

I wouldn't wean either mama

Is there a cause for not having that layer develop?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    80% sugar? really? like kool aide - wow! ()

I wouldn't wean either mama
    I left there in tears at the thought of that. I never thought I would nurse this long, and now the thought of having someone tell me I had to freaked me out!

Is there a cause for not having that layer develop?
    He asked me if he was a preterm baby or if I had antibiotics while pregnant or if he ever had antiobiotics or been under the bilirubin light. The answer was no to all these questions, so he said it could just be something genetic. The good news is that he said that if it is only contained to the 2 front teeth it wont be as much of a problem because you don't really eat with those teeth. So only time will tell for the other baby teeth. He said that he has no way of telling if his permanent teeth will grow in like this. So I am hoping for the best! I suppose in the bigger picture this is not such bad news and he is such a healthy and happy baby that I should be grateful
    Last edited by Seb's mommy; December 4th, 2007 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb's mommy View Post

He asked me if he was a preterm baby or if I had antibiotics while pregnant or if he ever had antiobiotics or been under the bilirubin light. The answer was no to all these questions, so he said it could just be something genetic. The good news is that he said that if it is only contained to the 2 front teeth it wont be as much of a problem because you don't really eat with those teeth. So only time will tell fot the other baby teeth. He said that he has no way of telling if his permanent teeth will grow in like this. S

o I am hoping for the best! I suppose in the bigger picture this is not such bad news and he is such a healthy and happy baby that I should be grateful
    Right....

I think of it like this... anyone tells me to do something with my child I am going to consider alllll the opions (as you're doing). Why? Because we assume pedis know what's best for our children and arent modivated by money, and go to school to learn what is BEST - then we find out thats not the case.

SO, since the pedis go to school for medicine, then 'focus' their intent on pediatrics and still cant get all the correct information about breastfeeding right, I can't expect my dentist too either. My brother knows nothing of breastfeeding/BM... (he's a dentist) it's really sad they never taught him much, if anything.

Can I ask what prompted the pedi to refer you? Was there discoloration?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Can I ask what prompted the pedi to refer you? Was there discoloration?
    Yes, his two front teeth are majorly yellow, no matter how much brushing I do. And they also don't look smooth like his other teeth. So when I went for his one year appt I showed the pedi and she recommended the dentist. I wish I would have gone to the dentist sooner, like as soon as I noticed a couple of months ago, but I held off until his next pedi visit to see what she though. At least there are no caries or damage. And the dentist also mentioned that when DS is 2 1/2 or 3 he can bond the teeth for cosmetic reasons. Since they are his two front teeth and very noticeable I may consider that when the age comes.

Yeah but that bonding will cost you some cash and then the teeth will fall out in another year or two after that - kwim? Now, obviously I am not suggesting you do or don't get cosmetic work done - he is your babe - but I am just pointing that out. When my DS1 was about 3 he had to get a small cavity filled on a molar and there was a small chip in one of the front ones - the dentist pushed me to have it fixed "so he looked normal" - I said, until when, his adult teeth push it out and then I've paid you 300 $ to fix a chip in a kids tooth that is deciduous. I think not" I kindly asked him to fill the cavity and away we went.

My point of rambling (there has to be one, right ) Its good to keep in touch with the dentis, but unless it's a health issue I wouldn't think you should owrry too much (and it seems he's not that concerned either.)

I'll quit now

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson